VMware Virtual SAN™ is hyper-converged software-defined storage for virtual environments. It abstracts and pools server-side flash and disk into shared pools of capacity with policy-based management and application-centric data services.
Simplify Storage Provisioning and Management
- No manual adjustments - Virtual SAN automatically rebuilds and rebalances your storage to align with the designated QoS policy assigned to each virtual machine in the cluster. No LUNs or RAID configurations necessary.
- VM-centric policy-based management and automation - Storage requirements are tied to individual virtual machines or virtual disks in the form of policies. Virtual SAN provisions storage resources based on those policies governed by SLAs.
- Single pane of glass management with vSphere - Virtual SAN is managed from the vSphere Web Client for single pane of glass management with vSphere. No need for training on specialized storage interfaces, or the operational overhead of switching and manipulating several devices for simple storage tasks. Provisioning storage for a virtual machine is now as easy as two-clicks.
- Interoperable with VMware Stack - Fully integrated with core vSphere features such as High Availability, DRS and vMotion, Virtual SAN also leverages vSphere Snapshots, vSphere Data Protection, and Replication for data protection, backup, rapid cloning and data transfer across clusters or sites, VMware Site Recovery Manager for automated orchestration for DR purposes, vRealize Automation for increased intelligent and simple resource management, and VMware View for simple and fast storage for virtual desktop environments.
High-Performance Hypervisor-Converged Storage
Virtual SAN is embedded into the vSphere kernel so it can be aware of the VMs and applications running above vSphere and the underlying storage infrastructure capabilities. This allows it to optimize the I/O path for better performance than virtual appliances or external devices.
- Unique architecture built within the hypervisor– Flash optimized, Virtual SAN is VM-centric and policy-driven. It does not require virtual appliances.
- Server-side Read/write caching- Storage latency is minimized by accelerating read/write disk I/O traffic and leveraging enterprise-grade server side SSD flash. Virtual machine performance is improved by leveraging the flash as both a write buffer and a read cache.
- Built-in Failure Tolerance - Data is never lost due to disk, host or network failures because Virtual SAN leverages distributed RAID and cache mirroring. Resiliency is maximized by defining availability on a per-virtual machine basis. You can specify how many host, network or disk failures to tolerate in a Virtual SAN cluster when setting the storage policy for each virtual machine.
- Granular non-disruptive scale-up and scale-out - Add disks to an existing host (scale-up) or add a new host to the cluster (scale-out). Boost performance by adding more flash drives (including PCIe cards) or increase capacity by adding more HDDs to new or existing hosts on the fly. Scale up to 20k IOPs per node.
Lower TCO by up to 50%
Use server-side HDDs and SSDs to create a converged and resilient SAN-like storage tier within the hypervisor.
- Lowers CapEx - Server side enterprise storage economics lowers capital expenses.
- Lowers OpEx - Automation and more efficient management lowers operating expenses.
- Maximum VDI density - Get full CPU utilization by maximizing VDI density.
- No large upfront investments- Scale granularly, and avoid over-provisioning and over-paying for future capacity and performance needs.
- No specialized skillset needed – If you know vSphere, you know Virtual SAN.