VMware Workstation Player (formerly known as Player or Player Pro) FAQs
What is VMware Workstation Player?
VMware Workstation Player (formerly known as Player Pro) is a desktop virtualization application that is available for free for personal use. A Commercial License can be applied to enable Workstation Player to run Restricted Virtual Machines created by VMware Workstation Pro and Fusion Pro.
Can I still use VMware Workstation Player for free?
VMware Workstation Player is free for personal non-commercial use (business and non profit use is considered commercial use). If you would like to learn about virtual machines or use them at home you are welcome to use VMware Workstation Player for free. Students and faculty of accredited educational institutions can use VMware Workstation Player for free if they are members of the VMware Academic Program.
Are there guidelines for using VMware Workstation Player for personal use?
Yes. Please refer to the VMware Workstation Player End-User License Agreement (EULA) for using VMware Workstation Player according to VMware design and licensing guidelines.
How can I get the free version of VMware Workstation Player?
VMware Workstation Player can be downloaded here.
Can I access VMware Workstation Player documentation online for free?
Yes, both English and Japanese language versions are available for download in electronic format from the VMware Workstation Player documentation website.
How does VMware Workstation Player work?
VMware Workstation Player installs like a standard desktop application. Once installed, VMware Workstation Player allows you to install new operating systems and run them as virtual machines in a separate window. VMware Workstation Player includes features that enable users to create and configure their own virtual machines for optimal performance and access any devices connected to their PC.
What can I do with VMware Workstation Player?
Use VMware Workstation Player to create, run, evaluate, and share software running in virtual machines:
- Create: Use VMware Workstation Player to create virtual machines with the latest 32-bit and 64-bit Windows and Linux operating systems. With Easy Install it’s easier than installing them directly on your PC.
- Run: VMware Workstation Player can be used by anyone to run virtual machines on a Windows or Linux PC. VMware Workstation Player makes it quick and easy to take advantage of the security, flexibility, and portability of virtual machines.
- Evaluate: VMware Workstation Player is ideal for safely evaluating software distributed as a virtual appliance. Virtual appliances are pre-built, pre-configured and ready-to-run enterprise software applications packaged along with an operating system in a virtual machine. With VMware Workstation Player, anyone can quickly and easily experience the benefits of preconfigured products without any installation or configuration hassles. Run over 900 virtual appliances from leading software vendors available from the VMware Solution Exchange.
What is the difference between the free and paid editions of VMware Workstation Player?
VMware Workstation Player is a free download, but purchasing and entering a license key entitles the users to the following additional benefits:
- When licensed, VMware Workstation Player is designed to be used commercially. It is licensed for use by employees, training organizations, contractors and can be transferred to partners or potential customers.
- When licensed, VMware Workstation Player is enabled to run restricted virtual machines created by VMware Fusion Pro or VMware Workstation.
- When licensed, VMware Workstation Player better supports mass deployments to thousands of users including installation options and custom configuration settings to run unattended installs using system configuration software and hide unwanted features.
How does VMware Workstation Player compare to VMware Workstation Pro?
VMware Workstation Player enables you to quickly and easily create and run virtual machines. The Workstation Player user interface is designed to be as easy to use as possible. It is intended for people who need to run virtual machines, typically provided to them by their IT organization, system administrator, instructor, software supplier etc.
VMware Workstation Pro is much more advanced and comes with powerful features including snapshots, cloning, remote connections to vSphere or vCloud Air, sharing VMs, advanced Virtual Machines settings and much more. Workstation is designed to be used by technical professionals such as developers, quality assurance engineers, systems engineers, IT administrators, technical support representatives, trainers, etc. More comparison details are available in the Workstation Pro vs Workstation Player comparison table.
Can VMware Workstation Player run restricted virtual machines created by VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion Pro?
Yes, if you purchase a VMware Workstation Player. This feature is only activated in the licensed version of Workstation Player.
Where can I buy VMware Workstation Player?
VMware Workstation Player is available for purchase on the VMware online store.