VMware Player Pro FAQs
What is VMware Player Pro?
VMware Player Pro is a version of VMware Player that is licensed for commercial use and is enabled to run restricted virtual machines created by VMware Workstation and VMware Fusion Pro.
Can I still use VMware Player for free?
VMware Player is free for personal non-commercial use (business use is considered commercial use). If you would like to learn about virtual machines or use them at home you are welcome to use VMware Player for free. Students and faculty of accredited educational institutions can use VMware Player for free if they are members of the VMware Academic Program.
Are there guidelines for using VMware Player for personal use?
Yes. Please refer to the VMware Player End-User License Agreement (EULA) for using VMware Player according to VMware design and licensing guidelines.
How can I get the free version of VMware Player?
VMware Player can be downloaded here.
Can I access VMware Player Pro documentation online for free?
Yes, both English and Japanese language versions are available for download in electronic format from the VMware Player documentation website.
How does VMware Player (Pro) work?
VMware Player (Pro) installs like a standard desktop application. Once installed, VMware Player (Pro) runs virtual machines in a separate window. VMware Player (Pro) includes features that enable users to create and configure their own virtual machines for optimal performance and access any devices connected to their PC.
What can I do with VMware Player (Pro)?
Use VMware Player (Pro) to create, run, evaluate, and share software running in virtual machines:
- Create: Use VMware Player (Pro) to create virtual machines with the latest 32-bit and 64-bit Windows and Linux operating systems. With Easy Install it’s easier than installing them directly on your PC.
- Run: VMware Player (Pro) can be used by anyone to run virtual machines on a Windows or Linux PC. VMware Player Pro makes it quick and easy to take advantage of the security, flexibility, and portability of virtual machines.
- Evaluate: VMware Player (Pro) is ideal for safely evaluating software distributed as a virtual appliance. Virtual appliances are pre-built, pre-configured and ready-to-run enterprise software applications packaged along with an operating system in a virtual machine. With VMware Player (Pro), anyone can quickly and easily experience the benefits of preconfigured products without any installation or configuration hassles. Run over 900 virtual appliances from leading software vendors available from the VMware Solution Exchange.
What is the difference between VMware Player Pro and VMware Player?
The licensed version of VMware Player is called VMware Player Pro. VMware Player Pro and VMware Player are the same download, but entering a license key entitles the users to additional benefits:
- VMware Player Pro is designed to be used commercially. It is licensed for use by employees, training organizations, contractors and can be transferred to partners or potential customers.
- VMware Player Pro is enabled to run restricted virtual machines created by VMware Fusion Pro or VMware Workstation. VMware Player Pro better supports mass deployments to thousands of users including installation options and custom configuration settings to run unattended installs using system configuration software and hide unwanted features.
How do VMware Player and VMware Player Pro compare to VMware Workstation?
VMware Player Pro enables you to quickly and easily create and run virtual machines. The VMware Player user interface is designed to be as easy to use as possible. It is intended for people who need to run virtual machines, typically provided to them by their IT organization, system administrator, instructor, software supplier etc.
VMware Workstation is much more advanced and comes with powerful features including snapshots, cloning, remote connections to vSphere, sharing VMs, advanced Virtual Machines settings and much more. Workstation is designed to be used by technical professionals such as developers, quality assurance engineers, systems engineers, IT administrators, technical support representatives, trainers, etc. More comparison details are available in the Workstation vs Player Pro comparison table.
Can VMware Player Pro run restricted virtual machines created by VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion Pro?
Yes, if you purchase a VMware Player Pro. This feature is activated in the licensed version of VMware Player Pro.
Where can I buy VMware Player Pro?
VMware Player Pro is available for purchase on the VMware online store.