Virtual SAN is radically simple, enterprise-class storage for VMware Hyper-Converged Software solutions.
Virtual SAN is the only hyper-converged storage solution delivered directly from the hypervisor, resulting in a flash-optimized architecture that delivers as much as 100,000 IOPS per all-flash node.
- Hypervisor-embedded architecture: Leverage the shortest, most efficient I/O data path for optimized performance with the least impact on CPU and memory resources.
- All-Flash architecture: Deploy an all-flash architecture with flash-based caching and SSD data persistence to provide up to 100,000 IOPS per host with consistent, low latency.
- Server-side caching: Improve virtual machine performance and minimize storage latencies by caching and accelerating read/write disk I/O traffic through enterprise-grade, server-side flash cache.
- Self-tuning: Automatically rebuild and rebalance storage to align with the storage service levels assigned to each virtual machine in the cluster.
- Quality of Service (QoS): Automatically limits and monitors the IOPS consumed by specific virtual machines, eliminating noisy neighbor issues.
Virtual SAN enables the most cost-efficient all-flash performance by delivering up to 10x greater storage utilization through data reduction technologies to optimize data footprint.
- Deduplication and Compression: Optimizes all-flash storage capacity with as much as 7x data reduction while having minimal impact on server CPU and memory resources.
- Erasure Coding: Increases usable storage capacity by up to 2x with the same high levels of data resiliency. Tolerate one or two failures with single parity or double parity protection.
Virtual SAN delivers enterprise availability for the most demanding business critical applications, capable of delivering 99.999% uptime and beyond with built-in and tunable failure tolerance settings.
- Built-in failure tolerance: Maximize resiliency with built-in distributed RAID, cache mirroring, and per-VM control by specifying how many host, network, disk, or rack failures to tolerate.
- Stretched Cluster: Enable enterprise-level availability that ensures no data loss and near zero downtime even in the event of an entire site failure with synchronous replication between two data centers.
- Interoperability with the VMware stack: Leverage core vSphere features such as High Availability (HA) and Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) along with vSphere snapshots and VMware Site Recovery Manager.
- 5 Minute RPO with vSphere Replication: vSphere Replication for Virtual SAN provides asynchronous VM replication with RPOs of up to five minutes.
Virtual SAN provides the simplicity of managing storage along with compute and networking in a single, tightly integrated interface--the vSphere Web Client.
- Single-pane-of-glass management: Eliminate the need for training on specialized storage interfaces and tools by using vSphere Web Client-based management to provision storage in two clicks.
- VM-centric policy-based control and automation: Deploy storage policies with a single click to automatically provision storage resources--no LUNs or RAID configurations necessary.
- Health Service: Perform hardware, firmware, and driver compatibility checks directly from the vSphere Web Client, along with real-time diagnostics and reporting on performance and storage capacity.