Protect all your virtual machines and mission-critical applications with VMware vSphere® Data Protection™ (VDP) Advanced, VMware’s backup and recovery solution for vSphere, powered by EMC Avamar.
- Variable-length: Data is broken into segments of dynamic length to filter redundancies with greater granularity. It provides the highest rates in the industry – on average 99% for file systems and 96% for databases – and it is 4 times more efficient than backup solutions that use fixed-length deduplication technology.
- Global: Deduplication is performed across all virtual machines (VM) pointed to the same VDP Advanced virtual appliance. Duplicate data across users and their VMs is stored only once.
- Client-side: For guest-level backups, VDP Advanced uses application-aware agents to eliminate redundant data in the virtual machine, prior to the data being sent through the network, thus reducing backup time and the amount of data sent through vSphere resources.
- Changed Block Tracking (CBT) Backup: creates efficient synthetic full backups leveraging CBT in combination with variable-length deduplication to send only unique changes to the VDP Advanced appliance.
- Configurable Proxies and Backup Workstreams: provides the flexibility to choose the number of parallel backup workstreams or virtual machines backed up simultaneously to satisfy SLAs and suit infrastructure needs.
- Changed Block Tracking (CBT) restore – restores only the delta of changed blocks between the production virtual machine and the last restore point, accelerating the speed of recovery by a factor of six compared to traditional full image restores.
- EMC Data Domain systems integration – Virtual machine and application data can be backed up to Data Domain systems using VDP Advanced as the front-end, leveraging Data Domain Boost software to increase backup throughput by 50% and to decrease network bandwidth by up to 99%.
Easy to Install and Use
- Linux-based virtual appliance deployment: makes the solution simple and affordable to install and configure
- vSphere Web Client integration: provides end-to-end management of the entire virtual infrastructure, including backup, recovery and replication, from a single user interface.
- Automatic Virtual Machine discovery: Virtual Machines available for backup are automatically added and removed in sync with vCenter Server.
- Simplified backup policies: easy creation of backup jobs for individual virtual machines or larger containers with specified schedules and retentions, all with just a few clicks.
- Single-step recovery: Synthetic full backups enable simple browsing of restore points for a single-step recovery of virtual machines, without the need for agents.
- Self-service file-level recovery (FLR): enables guest OS administrators and application owners to easily restore individual files and folders using a supported Web browser, without the need for agents.
- Automated backup verification: automated restores to an isolated “sandbox” environment executed according to user-defined schedules ensure that every backup is recoverable without manual processes and checking involved.
Application Aware for Physical and Virtual Apps
Protect virtualized mission-critical apps and physical/non-virtualized mission-critical apps
using a lightweight guest agent that communicates with the backup APIs of the application, ensuring:
- Application consistency that guarantees reliable recovery
- Granular backup and restores
- Easy backup management of applications on physical servers through vSphere Web Client
- Client-side deduplication that reduces backup storage usage
- Log management
- Microsoft SQL Server agent delivers granular backup and recovery of the entire application, individual databases, or only logs, with full support for SQL Server clusters
- Microsoft Exchange Server agent delivers application-consistent backup and granular recovery of individual databases and even mailboxes, with full support for Exchange Database Availability Groups (DAGs).
- Microsoft SharePoint agent provides application-consistent backup and recovery for SharePoint with client-side deduplication.
Resilient Against Site Failure
Network-efficient backup replication: highly efficient deduplication at the source, along with compression and encryption, ensures that backup data is optimized for WAN transmission.
- Flexible schedules and retentions: select which backups to replicate and define an independent replication schedule and retention policy.
- Multiple replication topologies: replicate in 1 to 1, 1 to many (fan-out) and many to 1 (fan-in) configurations
- Restore replicated backups at either the primary or DR site
Multiple replication targets: Integration with EMC backup solution offer choice for replication targets
- VDP Advanced: replicate to another VDP Advanced appliance
- VDP Advanced with Data Domain: use VDP Advanced to manage replication between Data Domain systems
- EMC Avamar: replicate directly from a VDP Advanced appliance to an EMC Avamar grid.