VMware News Releases
VMware Innovates for the Enterprise Desktop: Delivers VMware ACE, A Breakthrough Product That Reinvents Desktop Management and Security
VMware ACE Enables IT Desktop Managers to Rapidly Provision and Control Secure, Standardized PC Environments Throughout the Extended Enterprise
PALO ALTO, Calif., January 11, 2005-- VMware, Inc., the global leader in virtual infrastructure software for industry-standard systems, today announced the availability of VMware ACE. VMware ACE is a breakthrough product for managing contractor, telecommuter and mobile laptop users with a single mechanism that combines security, user autonomy and centralized management. The product enables IT desktop managers to rapidly provision a customized, secure and standardized PC environment to any unmanaged endpoint.
"Enterprises today spend far too much time and money trying to manage their contractor, telecommuter and mobile laptop users. Assured computing environments help solve the problem of managing these user populations by allowing system administrators to create a complete locked-down PC environment that can be deployed to any industry-standard PC," said Karthik Rau, director of product management at VMware. "We look forward to VMware ACE becoming an indispensable part of the enterprise PC administrator's toolkit."
VMware ACE lets IT desktop managers apply enterprise IT policies to a virtual machine containing an operating system, enterprise applications and data to create an isolated PC environment known as an assured computing environment. Through its unique Virtual Rights Management (VRM) technology, VMware ACE lets IT desktop managers control desktop lifecycles, secure enterprise information on PCs and enforce compliance with IT policies--all while maintaining end-user autonomy.
"We take full advantage of the VMware line of products," said Bob Mathers, second vice president of IT operations and disaster recovery for Guardian Life Insurance Company. "We are looking forward to deploying VMware ACE to provide a secure and controlled desktop to users who work from home, offshore and for disaster recovery."
Mathers continued, "The Virtual Rights Management technology in ACE is very valuable to Guardian as it will allow us to enforce network and patch management compliance policies on environments that connect to our corporate network."
"VMware ACE will allow us to provide a home-based staff member or visiting contractor with a virtual machine containing an operating system and the software they need to do their work," said Tom Taylor, senior client server analyst for Baptist Healthcare System. "The product's Virtual Rights Management technology enables us to set up access control, image version control, image expiration, copy protection and virus control, protecting Baptist Healthcare System data."
VMware ACE provides multiple solutions for IT desktop managers managing contractor, telecommuter and mobile laptop users:
- Safe access to enterprise resources from remote and guest PCs. VMware ACE creates isolated PC environments that run on top of an existing PC and contain an operating system, enterprise applications and pre-configured security settings. VMware ACE is a compelling solution that allows contractors and telecommuters to access enterprise networks from their own computers instead of a company-supported PC.
- Secure data on enterprise PCs. Mobile laptop users can protect their data by securing it within an encrypted VMware ACE environment. VMware ACE protects sensitive information on any PC throughout the extended enterprise. Through VRM copy protection controls and automatic encryption, VMware ACE helps prevent theft, tampering and unauthorized duplication of applications, data, system settings and files.
- Provision standardized PC environments. VMware ACE is self-policing, hardware-independent and improves the manageability, security and cost-effectiveness of PCs. IT desktop managers can avoid supporting hardware-specific images for PCs. This guarantees compliance with IT policies while maintaining end-user freedom.
Key features of VMware ACE include:
- Centralized design of computing environments. IT desktop managers create standardized hardware-independent PC environments and deploy them to any PC.
- VRM Policies. IT desktop managers control VMware ACE expiration, security settings, network settings, system configuration and user interface capabilities.
- Rules-based network access. IT desktop managers ensure compliance with IT policies by quarantining and preventing unauthorized VMware ACE environments from accessing the enterprise network.
- Tamper resistant computing environment. IT desktop managers prevent end users from changing environment configurations.
- Copy protected computing environment. IT desktop managers prevent end users from copying enterprise information or VMware ACE to another PC.
- Flexible computing environment. End users work online or when disconnected from the enterprise network.
- Intuitive user interface. User interface is optimized for enterprise-wide use.
Pricing and Availability
VMware ACE is available today. The electronic software distribution is available from the VMware Store at www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/, Dell, HP and the VMware VIP Reseller Network and distribution partners ( www.vmware.com/partners/resellers/). The VMware ACE Starter Kit is available for $995 and includes ACE Manager and four VMware ACE client licenses for end-user PCs. Additional VMware ACE client licenses are available for $99 per licensed PC. A full-featured 30-day trial version can be downloaded directly from the VMware Web site at www.vmware.com/download/.
About VMware, Inc.
VMware, an EMC company (NYSE: EMC), is the global leader in virtual infrastructure software for industry-standard systems. The world's largest companies use VMware solutions to simplify their IT, fully leverage their existing computing investments and respond faster to changing business demands. VMware is based in Palo Alto, California. For more information, visit www.vmware.com or call 650-475-5000.
# # #
© 2005 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved. VMware is a registered trademark of VMware, Inc. All other trademarks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.