VMware vSphereTM 4 Launch Supported by Broad Virtualization Ecosystem
PALO ALTO, Calif., April 21, 2009 – VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization solutions from the desktop to the datacenter, today announced broad support from its virtualization partner ecosystem, with more than 500 technology partners supporting the launch of VMware vSphere™ 4 (See press release, “VMware Unveils the Industry’s First Operating System for Building the Internal Cloud—VMware vSphere 4.”) This robust ecosystem, which includes more than 22,000 channel and technology partners in the VMware Partner Network, will provide customers from small and midsized businesses (SMBs) to the enterprise with a wide variety of applications, cloud services, desktop solutions, management solutions, networking, security solutions, servers and storage devices that interoperate with VMware vSphere 4, while providing customers many options for accessing VMware vSphere 4 through OEM and channel partners.
“VMware prides itself on partnering with a broad set of technology and channel partners around the world to deliver first-class solutions and services to help customers do more with less,” said Brian Byun, vice president of global alliances, VMware. “As customers adopt cloud computing as the new way to deliver IT, VMware’s robust partner ecosystem will continue to play a key role in helping customers execute on the vision of delivering IT as a service.”
VMware vSphere 4 provides ecosystem partners with numerous integration and co-development programs such as VMware ReadyTM, VMware VMsafeTM and VMware Community Source that enable them to use VMware APIs and interfaces to build advanced technology integrations that deliver value-added solutions. These integrations will plug seamlessly into VMware vSphere 4, which provides simplified integration capabilities, backward compatibility with previous versions of VMware software, and new interfaces that support industry-leading management solutions.
VMware partners of all sizes across the application, channel, cloud, desktop, management, network, security, server and storage segments are offering to support VMware vSphere 4 today or plan to support the product by the end of 2009:
- Applications: More than 250 independent software vendors (ISVs) will extend their support to VMware vSphere 4, with dozens more adding support every month. These include mission-critical products from IBM, Microsoft, Oracle and SAP, providing customers with an extensive array of business-critical applications and turnkey virtual appliances that can benefit from VMware virtualization.
- Channel, distribution and services: VMware works with thousands of channel, distribution and services partners in the VMware Partner Network. These partners help bring the benefits of VMware virtualization to customers of all sizes along with value-added solution packaging and services that help customers maximize their investments.
- Cloud: As the provider of the industry’s first operating system for building the internal cloud, VMware continues to grow its ecosystem of cloud technology innovators and service providers to enable delivery of IT as a service. These partners include BlueLock, Savvis, SunGard Availability Services and Terremark.
- Desktop: VMware works with partners such as Cisco, Dell, Devon IT, HP, IGEL, NEC, Sun Microsystems, Teradici, ThinPrint and Wyse Technology on virtual desktop solutions to combine rich end user experience with simplified desktop management.
- Management:Partners such as BMC Software, CA, Configuresoft, EMC, HP, IBM, NetIQ, Symantec, Tripwire, Veeam and Vizioncore have built comprehensive solutions for managing heterogeneous environments that integrate with the VMware vCenterTM suite of management products, and continue to work with VMware on optimized solutions to simplify systems management.
- Network: VMware vSphere 4 has strong relationships with networking vendors including Brocade, Cisco, Emulex, F5 Networks, HP, QLogic and Riverbed, to facilitate delivery of IT as a service. VMware is also reselling Cisco’s Nexus 1000V virtual switch, signifying the importance of virtual networking to cloud environments. (See press release, “Cisco and VMware Deliver Solution to Simplify Management of Network Services for Cloud Environments.”)
- Security:Partners developing security products to complement VMware vSphere 4 and help make virtual environments even safer than physical include Altor Networks; Check Point Software Technologies; IBM ISS; McAfee; Reflex Systems; RSA, The Security Division of EMC; Symantec; Third Brigade and Trend Micro.
- Servers: OEM vendors that resell VMware vSphere 4 and develop integrated end-to-end virtualization solutions with their server platforms include Cisco, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, IBM, Lenovo, NEC, Stratus Technologies, and Sun Microsystems. VMware also works closely with AMD and Intel to optimize processor architectures for these hardware platforms.
- Storage and Data Recovery: VMware works with a broad range of data storage and recovery vendors including 3PAR, CA, CommVault, Dell, Double-Take Software, EMC, Hitachi Data Systems, HP, IBM, NetApp, Sun Microsystems, Symantec, Vizioncore and dozens more to help ensure their hardware and software leverage the full power of VMware vSphere 4.
VMware vSphere 4 is expected to be generally available later in the second quarter of 2009.
VMware (NYSE: VMW) is the global leader in virtualization solutions from the desktop to the datacenter—bringing cloud computing to businesses of all sizes. Customers rely on VMware to reduce capital and operating expenses, ensure business continuity, strengthen security and go green. With 2008 revenues of <span id="RC:/templatedata/content/reusable/data/global_variables/var_br_revenues">$1.9 billion</span>, more than 130,000 customers and more than 22,000 partners, VMware is one of the fastest growing public software companies. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, VMware is majority-owned by EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC). For more information, visit www.vmware.com.
# # #
VMware, VMware Ready, VMware vCenter, VMware VMsafe and VMware vSphere are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
Statements made in this press release which are not statements of historical fact are forward-looking statements and are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements relate, but are not limited, to, expectations for the release and delivery of our products and prospects for our collaborations with our business partners. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i) the duration and deepening of negative economic or market conditions; (ii) delays or reductions in consumer or information technology spending; (iii) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures, industry consolidation, entry of new competitors into the virtualization market, and new product and marketing initiatives by our competitors; (iv) our customers’ ability to develop, and to transition to, new products, (v) the uncertainty of customer acceptance of emerging technology initiatives; (vi) rapid technological and market changes in virtualization software; (vii) changes to product development timelines; and (viii) our ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees. These forward looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2008, which could cause actual results to vary from expectations. VMware disclaims any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.