VMware News Releases
VMware Launches GSX Server 2.0 for Software Lifecycle Management and Server Consolidation
PALO ALTO, Calif., July 15, 2002 -- VMware, Inc., the leading provider of virtual computing software for industry-standard computers, today unveiled VMware GSX Server 2.0, the latest version of its virtual machine software for software lifecycle management and server consolidation in a wide range of hardware environments.
GSX Server 2.0 simplifies the server infrastructure by partitioning and isolating server resources in secure and transportable virtual machines. GSX Server 2.0 allows these resources to be easily provisioned, remotely managed and standardized on a secure, uniform platform.
With GSX Server 2.0, enterprises can easily:
- Streamline software lifecycle management. GSX Server 2.0 encapsulates virtual machines and isolates software from differences in the underlying hardware, providing a standard platform for testing, deployment and overall lifecycle management. Virtual machines can be easily provisioned to physical servers and advanced capabilities in GSX Server 2.0 such as undoable disk rollback recovery, repeatable resume and full remote management allow for more effective and thorough software testing and operational management
- Implement server consolidation. GSX Server 2.0 consolidates application and infrastructure services onto fewer physical servers without the need to deal with application migration to new operating systems, application coexistence issues or software updates required in traditional server consolidation approaches
"Software developers and IT shops can simplify and remove drudgery from the complex process of software lifecycle management with GSX Server," said Diane Greene, president and chief executive officer of VMware. "Once a software service is deployed, an endless process of applying software updates, bug fixes and upgrades begins. Our customers are seeing reductions of 72 to 79 percent in operational costs and 23 to 53 percent in hardware expense from using GSX Server."
New and enhanced features in GSX Server 2.0, built on a hosted architecture, increase the controllability, compatibility and capacity of the server. These features include:
- Support for host systems with up to 8 GB of physical memory
- New COM API for scripting and automation in Visual Basic, VB Script and other languages
- Updated Perl API for scripting and automation
- Support for Microsoft Windows .NET Server, Standard Server and Enterprise Server host and guest operating systems
- Support for the latest Linux host and guest operating systems including Mandrake 8.2, Red Hat 7.3 and SuSE 8.0
- Support for in-box clustering among virtual machines using standard clustering software for training, testing and development
- Repeatable resume that allows virtual machines to resume from the same point over and over again for software testing and demonstrations
- A new Microsoft Windows MSI-based installer that supports automated installs
"Server consolidation is a critical application for GSX Server at Tower Bank," said Michael Rice, vice president of technology and operations at Tower Bank & Trust Company. "We've been able to implement key banking applications, from loan documentation to a human resources database, in virtual machines, saving us the expense of new hardware."
Pricing and Availability
GSX Server 2.0 is available today for both Windows and Linux host operating systems. The electronic software distribution of GSX Server 2.0 is available for $3499 via the VMware Store at http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore; the boxed version is available for $3549. Both packages include 12 months of product maintenance and support. The product is also available through VMware channel partners including CorpSoft, Ingram Micro, Lifeboat, Programmer's Paradise, Software House International and Software Spectrum.
About VMware, Inc.
VMware, Inc. is the leading provider of virtual computing software for industry-standard computers. Through its patented and patent-pending technology, VMware brings virtual computing to distributed systems -- from the desktop to the data center. Enterprise customers use VMware software for server consolidation, workload management and application development, testing and deployment. With more than one million registered users, VMware products include ESX Server, GSX Server and Workstation. VMware was founded in 1998 and is based in Palo Alto, Calif. For more information, visit www.vmware.com or call 650-475-5000.
(C) 2002 VMware, Inc. all rights reserved. VMware and the VMware boxes logo are trademarks of VMware, Inc. Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. All other trademarks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.