Next-Generation VMware Partner Network Helps Partners Increase Virtualization Expertise to Expand Business Opportunities
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., August 31, 2009 — Today at VMworld 2009, VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization solutions from the desktop through the datacenter and to the cloud, announced a significant increase in the number of VMware partners investing in their virtualization practices through enhanced accreditation and certification programs. These programs are offered as part of VMware’s next-generation partner program, VMware Partner Network, which launched earlier this year. This increased participation in training reflects VMware’s commitment to provide partners with easily accessible programs and tools that help them differentiate their offerings in the marketplace:
- More than 16,000 individuals from more than 1,200 partner companies have been trained on VMware vSphere™ 4, the industry-leading virtualization platform, since the product became available in May 2009
- Since the launch of VMware Partner Network in April 2009, more than 60 percent of all Premier-level partners in the program have begun taking the necessary training to achieve their first solution competency
- The number of partners achieving VMware Technical Sales Professional (VTSP) accreditations has grown more than 500 percent year over year
“Our partners are essential to our business and VMware is passionate about providing them with a world-class partner program,” said Doug Smith, senior director, global channels, VMware. “The VMware Partner Network is designed to provide partners with the tools they need to stand out in the eyes of customers and gain a long-term competitive advantage for their virtualization practices. Since introducing the VMware Partner Network, we have seen thousands of professionals working toward their VMware accreditations and certifications, with hundreds of new companies developing competencies in specific VMware solutions. This is validation that partners want to put their efforts and money toward key training on VMware virtualization because they believe in the long-term value of virtualized IT environments based on the industry-leading VMware platform.”
“VMware’s solution competency program has provided us with knowledge and skills that allow us to better serve our customers and stay competitive,” said Ashley Gardiner, director, VMSecured. “We’re delighted to be the first VMware partner in the United Kingdom to have achieved the infrastructure virtualization competency. We are already reaping the benefits through our improved delivery of VMware server virtualization and consolidation solutions, and in the way that we are able to prove our credentials to prospective clients.”
VMware Partner Network provides support and program benefits including:
- Solution competencies: VMware has established new designations of expertise that allow customers to identify partners with VMware virtualization solution knowledge and experience. VMware solution competencies enable partners to extend market reach, align business with VMware marketing initiatives and drive deeper into customer engagements. VMware partners are able to accelerate their expertise, profitability and market opportunity by earning one or more VMware solution competency. Partners are able to earn competencies in four areas: infrastructure virtualization, business continuity, desktop virtualization and virtualization management.
- New and improved information portal: VMware’s revamped partner portal, Partner Central, enables partners to more easily access the marketing and sales tools, leads modules, market development funds, service-related intellectual property, and other tools needed to grow their VMware virtualization businesses. Partner Central is attracting 25 percent more partner visits each week than the previous portal, with an average of 82 percent of visitors returning each week.
- Partner University: VMware Partner University is the virtual campus that helps accelerate partners’ virtualization practices through high-quality training and education on VMware products, services and solutions under one framework. Organized into role-based learning paths, Partner University makes it easy for partners to develop their virtualization expertise and to earn industry-recognized accreditations and certifications based on their individual focus areas.
- Enhanced Partner Locator: VMware partners are highlighted in Partner Locator on VMware.com, which enables customers to find local partners based on their areas of expertise. Partner Locator identifies partners based on their geography, partner type, level in VMware Partner Network, and earned competencies.
VMware Partner Network was unveiled in April 2009 to help ensure a more consistent and successful user experience and to help partners increase their business potential by increasing their skills in VMware solutions. Building on the company’s previous award-winning program, VMware Partner Network is a comprehensive program that provides a common infrastructure, extensive sales and services tools, margin opportunities and industry-recognized training for VMware’s entire partner ecosystem, including solution providers, technology partners and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). The program helps partners maximize their investments in VMware virtualization to provide their customers with the best end-to-end virtualization solutions available.
Read more about VMware Partner Network.
VMware also announced a new organizational structure of its global channel executive team. The team is organized into a horizontal global function that oversees global direction and strategy, as well as vertical channel sales organizations organized by geography to better serve the needs of partners worldwide:
- Doug Smith, senior director of global channels and “Global Channel Chief”: Reporting to Carl Eschenbach, VMware executive vice president of worldwide field operations, Smith sets global channel strategies, channel revenue goals and global programs
- Brandon Sweeney, vice president of Americas channels and “Americas Channel Chief”: Reporting to Rich Geraffo, VMware vice president and general manager of the Americas, Sweeney executes regional channel strategies and drives channel revenue goals for the Americas region
- Andy Hunt, vice president of EMEA channels and “EMEA Channel Chief”: Reporting to Maurizio Carli, vice president and general manager of the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region, Hunt executes regional channel strategies and drives channel revenue goals for the EMEA region
- Manish Sharma, senior director of APAC channels and “APAC Channel Chief”: Reporting to Andrew Dutton, vice president and general manager of the Asia Pacific (APAC) region, Sharma executes regional channel strategies and drives channel revenue goals for the APAC region
VMware also announced recent channel awards:
- CRN named four VMware representatives to its 2009 Most Powerful Women in the Channel list: Aileen Black, vice president, public sector; Julie Heck, director, global partner marketing; Colleen Kapase, senior director, global partner programs; and Maureen Lonergan, director, partner enablement
- Everything Channel named VMware the overall winner and Company of the Year in the Server Virtualization Software category in its 2009 Annual Report Card survey
Now in its sixth year, VMworld 2009, with more than 10,000 attendees and over 200 sponsors and exhibitors, is the must-attend event for IT professionals looking for actionable ideas, innovative products and best practices for virtualizing their business – from the desktop to the datacenter to the cloud. Under the theme "Hello Freedom,” VMware and virtualization are changing the world of IT – no longer is IT tethered to complicated, expensive and inefficient systems. Say goodbye to the limitations of the traditional ways of computing and hello to the power to innovate. See how virtualization frees the lives of those that embrace it. Super Sessions are being given by Platinum Sponsors Cisco, Dell, EMC, HP, IBM, Intel, NetApp, Symantec, Wyse and VMware. VMworld features more than 300 breakout sessions and hands-on labs, led by VMware and industry professionals, and is being held August 31- September 3 at Moscone Center in San Francisco.
VMware delivers solutions for business infrastructure virtualization that enable IT organizations to energize businesses of all sizes. With the industry leading virtualization platform – VMware vSphere™ – customers rely on VMware to reduce capital and operating expenses, improve agility, ensure business continuity, strengthen security and go green. With 2008 revenues of $1.9 billion , more than 150,000 customers and 22,000 partners, VMware is the leader in virtualization which consistently ranks as a top priority among CIOs. VMware is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware and VMware vSphere are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.