VMware News Releases
VMware Unveils VMware Workstation™ 8
Build, Share and Upload Virtual Machines to VMware vSphere® from VMware Workstation 8
PALO ALTO, Calif., Sept. 14, 2011 — VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today announced the availability of VMware Workstation™ 8 – offering the easiest way to build, share and upload virtual machines (VMs) to VMware vSphere®. With more than 50 new features, VMware Workstation 8 advances the way technical professionals can work with multiple virtual machines from their PCs or on enterprise private clouds.
"The users of VMware Workstation pioneer the adoption of virtual environments and private clouds," said Christopher Young, vice president and general manager, End-User Computing, VMware. "Our team recognizes the needs of these users and has made significant enhancements to VMware Workstation 8, making it even easier for them to move beyond the virtual box."
Key VMware Workstation 8 features include:
- Remote Connections – VMware Workstation 8 provides a seamless way to establish remote connections to hosts running in Workstation, VMware vSphere, and VMware vCenter™.
- "Share" VMs – New in Workstation 8, users can share VMs so they can be accessed by teammates providing a quick way to test applications in a more production-like environment.
- Upload to vSphere – Workstation 8 enables users to drag and drop a VM from a user's desktop to VMware vSphere. This feature allows users to deploy a complete application environment from a PC to a server for further testing, demoing, and analysis.
- New User Interface – The VMware Workstation 8 user interface has been revamped with simplified menus, live thumbnails, improved preferences screens, and a new virtual machine library with enhanced searching. Users can now search and access a large library of virtual machines that can reside on your desktop, a server, or on another PC running VMware Workstation.
- Improved Virtual Machine Capabilities – With support for HD audio with 7.1 surround sound, USB 3 and Bluetooth devices, Workstation 8 delivers new levels of virtual machine performance. In addition, improvements to virtual SMP, 3D graphics performance and new support for 64-GB RAM allows users to run the most demanding applications in a virtual machine.
VMware Workstation, the industry's first personal virtualization tool and winner of more than 50 awards, is recognized for its broad operating system support, rich user experience, comprehensive feature set, and high performance.
Availability and Pricing
VMware Workstation 8 is immediately available for purchase for $199. Upgrades from VMware Workstation 6.x and 7.x are available for $99. VMware Customers who have purchased VMware Workstation 8 between Aug. 1, 2011 and Sept. 30, 2011 are eligible for a complimentary electronic upgrade to VMware Workstation 8. For more details on VMware’s complimentary electronic upgrade program please go here.
Workstation can also be purchased through VMware’s network of resellers and distributors. Download a free trial at here.
VMware (NYSE: VMW) delivers virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable IT organizations to energize businesses of all sizes. With the industry leading virtualization platform – VMware vSphere® – customers rely on VMware to reduce capital and operating expenses, improve agility, ensure business continuity, strengthen security and go green. With 2010 revenues of $2.9 billion, more than 250,000 customers and 25,000 partners, VMware is the leader in virtualization, which consistently ranks as a top priority among CIOs. VMware is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com
VMware, VMware Workstation, VMware vCenter and VMware vSphere are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.