Integrate with Your Infrastructure
VMware Partner Support Programs
VMware supports deep integration of the VMware vSphere platform with third-party management tools and solutions through APIs and SDK products aimed at different developer communities and target platforms. VMware's technology partners have access to VMware engineering resources and product source code to support deeply integrated VMware vSphere extensions.
VMware’s APIs and SDKs expose every control, performance, and monitoring feature offered by VMware vCenter Server so third parties can build in support for every aspect of VMware vSphere, including vMotion, DRS, and HA. This has led to broad industry support for management integration with VMware vSphere. Each API/SDK is intended for different developer communities and target platforms.
- VMware vSphere SDK
- VMware vSphere PowerCLI
- VMware CIM APIs
- VMware vSphere SDK for Perl
- Virtual Disk Development Kit
- VMware vSphere Guest SDK
VMware offers in-depth VMware SDK and API technical resources to developers.
More than 2,200 member organizations in VMware's Technology Alliance Partner Program offer a wide range of products, solutions, training, consulting, and services to VMware Infrastructure users. VMware's Technology Alliance Partners have been essential to the rapid adoption of VMware vSphere worldwide.
The VMware Technology Alliance Program supports VMware ecosystem partners with resources ranging from certification with our VMware Ready program, to sales and marketing assistance.
VMware vSphere provides an API and SDK environment to allow customers, storage hardware vendors and independent software vendors (ISVs) to enhance and extend the functionality of vSphere in the following areas:
- Storage Awareness
- Array Integration
- Data protection
Storage vendors can use the vSphere API for Storage Awareness (VASA) to provide vSphere with information about specific disk arrays for tighter integration between storage and the virtual infrastructure. The shared information includes details on storage health status, configuration, capacity and thin provisioning. From an administration perspective, this level of detail can now be passed up through vCenter Server to the user.
- Gather information around specific disk array features (snapshot, dedupe, replication state, RAID levels, thin or thick provisioned, etc.) and status (health, troubleshooting, etc.)
- Make it easy for administrators to select the most appropriate storage resources when a VM is created based on high level details around capacity, performance and capabilities of the underlying disk
- Integrate with the Storage DRS and Profile-Driven Storage features of vSphere
These API's are included with the VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus Edition.
Offload specific storage operations to supported disk arrays for unparalleled performance and efficiencies. With the vSphere API for Array Integration (VAAI), vSphere can perform key operations faster and consume less CPU, memory and storage bandwidth.
- Offload block copy and block zeroing to the array
- Support dead space reclamation and out of space warnings in thin provisioned arrays
- Fully support NAS as well as block based storage
vSphere Storage APIs for Multipathing
Improve the performance and reliability of I/O to storage by integrating with third-party storage vendor multipath software features.
- Modular storage architecture allows storage partners to write a plug-in for their specific capabilities
- Plug-ins communicate with the intelligence running in the storage array to determine the best path selection, as well as leveraging parallel paths to increase performance and reliability of I/O from the vSphere host to the storage array
Achieve scalable backup without disrupting applications and users by leveraging backup software that leverages the vSphere API for Data Protection (VADP). VADP enables backup software to perform centralized virtual machine backups without the disruption and overhead of running backup tasks from inside each virtual machine.
- Perform full, differential, and incremental image backup and restore of virtual machines
- Perform file-level backup of virtual machines using supported Windows and Linux operating systems
- Ensure data consistency by using Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) for virtual machines running supported Microsoft Windows operating systems
The vSphere API for Data Protection is included with all VMware vSphere editions and kits.
As compared to the above, Microsoft’s choice of the SMI-S (Storage Management Initiative - Specification) standard for array integration has not been widely adopted by the storage industry. Microsoft currently lacks partners that provide tools for the SMI-S standard.
ENABLE STRONG SECURITY FOR VIRTUALIZED ENVIRONMENTS
VMware VMsafe is a program for integrating partner security solutions into VMware-virtualized environments, offering visibility, control and choice to customers. The result is an approach to virtualized security that provides customers with a choice of enhanced security and IT compliance solutions enabling comprehensive protection for virtual datacenters and cloud environments.
VMsafe is a successful program that has enabled a wide selection of introspection-based solutions from VMware partners. VMware is fully committed to supporting these solutions for our mutual customers. The VMsafe partners include Altor Networks, Checkpoint, IBM, McAfee, Reflex and Trend Micro.
Responding to VMsafe customer and partner feedback, VMware is now introducing its next generation of introspection-based solutions. This technology makes its debut in vShield Endpoint solutions. This next generation introspection platform brings additional benefits to the VMsafe investments, specifically:
- Broader integration of management frameworks with our partners
- Better abstraction of lower level APIs for improved ease of integration with partner solutions
- More scalable partner-based integration efforts, easier certification