Growing Chasm Between Business and IT
IT organizations face unprecedented challenges. Internal business customers continue to demand rapid delivery of innovative services to respond to outside threats and opportunities. Hamstrung by limited staff and budget, IT struggles to keep up, often exhausting resources simply trying to respond to changing business requests.
In this tense environment, the options have been few: delay innovation that fuels the business or allow business users to procure services without IT oversight that ensures reliability, security, compliance and governance standards are met for the business.
The Promise of Cloud Computing
At the core of IT's challenges is a perennial cycle where maintaining existing systems consumes the majority of budgets, leaving little to reinvest in growing the business. That's why an increasing number of IT organizations leverage cloud technology to break this cycle and unlock resources to fuel innovation.
The Elements of Cloud Success
Those organizations most successfully leveraging cloud technology have transformed two major areas of IT: the technology required to build a cloud infrastructure and the core operating model needed to gain the greatest benefit from this new technology foundation. These businesses have embraced cloud as a cohesive strategy, examining how to build and operate or rent their cloud environments, while measuring the efficiency, agility and reliability improvements of cloud computing.
VMware Cloud Solutions
VMware cloud solutions improve IT efficiency, agility and reliability, while helping IT drive innovation. We deliver everything IT needs to build, operate, rent and manage their cloud, even beyond the data center, while continuously quantifying its impact. We also help customers evolve technical foundations, organizational models, operational processes and financial measures to establish both a cloud infrastructure and cloud operations model that delivers the greatest benefit from cloud computing. VMware cloud solutions maximize the potential of cloud computing to:
- Deliver new IT services that fuel business growth – More rapidly create and deploy services that differentiate the business.
- Transform IT into a source of innovation – Unlock IT resources and reinvest in services that advance business goals.
- Ensure IT efficiency, agility and reliability – Deliver enterprise SLAs for tier 1 applications, securing the business even across diverse cloud environments.
VMware offers customers two options for transforming the data center into a cloud environment that implements the software-defined data center (SDDC) architecture:
- Packaged software that customers deploy on premises
- Public infrastructure as a service based on VMware SDDC technologies and operated by VMware vCloud® Air™ or its partners (vCloud Service Provider Partners)
With these two options, VMware is offering a true hybrid cloud platform where customers can seamlessly extend the SDDC with a common management, orchestration, networking and security model across on-premises and off-premises environments.
Building on the foundation of VMware vSphere® virtualization, VMware offers two choices to transform the data center into a dynamic cloud environment. You can build a private cloud infrastructure with VMware vCloud® Suite or rent a public or hybrid cloud service with VMware vCloud Air. Both cloud solutions are built on the same software-defined data center architecture, which expands the cost and operational benefits of server virtualization to all the data center infrastructure: compute, network, security, storage and management. And together, you can have a hybrid cloud platform where you have the agility and convenience of public cloud with the freedom and confidence to run any applications onsite, offsite or both.
- Automated provisioning and deployment – Assemble new applications from reusable components, and deploy them in minutes instead of weeks.
- Automated operations management – Efficiently run your cloud with purpose-built tools to optimize performance, ensure security and rectify potential problems before users ever see them.
- Availability, disaster recovery and compliance – Deliver demanding SLAs, protect your data and verify conformance with policies and regulations.
- Visibility into IT costs – Intelligently plan capacity, optimize resource allocation and evolve to a complete IT chargeback model.
- Full extensibility – Customize your environment, integrate third-party solutions and interoperate with VMware-based public cloud services.
VMware Cloud Operations Services provide you with insight, prioritized recommendations and expert guidance to transform operational processes, organizational structures and financial models to realize the greatest value from your cloud. Our portfolio of advisory and transformation services helps customers develop key capabilities within their organization:
- On-demand services – Implement a new self-service model to lower IT costs and increase agility.
- Automated provisioning and deployment – Evolve request fulfillment, application development and deployment processes to gain newfound efficiency.
- Incident and problem management – Leverage automation and policy-based management to eliminate error-prone manual processes and proactively manage systems before issues arise.
- Security, compliance and risk management – Safeguard the business by ensuring enterprise-level standards for how systems are protected across your cloud environment.
- IT financial management – Transition to a new financial paradigm that provides transparency and directly links the costs of IT services to their demand and consumption.