Complete Software-Defined Services as Virtual Data Centers
- Virtual data centers - Provision complete sets of software-defined services that include compute, storage and networking capacity. Apply the principles of pooling, abstraction and automation and enable complete separation between the consumption of infrastructure services and the underlying hardware.
- Efficient resource allocation - Automatically place applications in optimal VMware® vCenter Server™ clusters, alleviating IT overhead around balancing server capacity. Define how virtual data center resources are consumed by different teams and organizations.
- Integration with VMware vSphere® Storage - Enable tiered and load-balanced storage in the vCloud Director environment to maximize performance and simplify provisioning.
- vApp templates - Capture requirements for compute, storage, networking and other custom guest data using Open Virtualization Format-based vApp templates. Deploy and consume multi-tier applications as pre-configured virtual appliances containing virtual machines, operating system images and other media.
- vApp catalogs - Access vApp templates from web-based catalogs for dynamic provisioning. Port applications flexibly between data centers and standardize offerings while simplifying troubleshooting, patching and change management.
- vSphere linked clone technology - Clone base vApps into children by only storing changes made by children and reading all other data from the base. Link instances of running virtual machines back to their original templates to avoid wait times for additional storage.
- Snapshot and revert capabilities - Unwind changes made to a virtual machine for rapid destructive testing without the need to re-provision multiple times.
- Open Virtualization Format (OVF) - Make basic transfer between clouds possible using the open vCloud API, which preserves application properties, networking configuration and other settings.
- Callouts - Enable vCloud Director to send outbound messages to, and receive notifications from, other integrated systems.
Security and Resource Consumption Control
- VMware vCloud® Networking and Security ™ technologies - Integrate vCloud Director with vCloud technologies such as perimeter protection, port-level firewall and NAT and DHCP services to gain virtualization-aware security, simplify application deployment and meet compliance standards.
- VMware vCenter single sign-on - Simplify administration by allowing users to log in once and then access all instances of vCenter Server and vCloud Director, without the need for further authentication.
- Self-service web portal - Give users direct access to their catalogs and virtual data centers through a user-friendly web portal.
- Isolate multi-tenant organizations - Group users into organizations that can represent any policy group, such as a business unit, division or subsidiary company. Enable each to have isolated virtual resources, independent LDAP-authentication, specific policy controls and unique catalogs.
- Role-based access control - Authorize consumption using a model that enables different users to have different levels of functional access within vCloud Director. Set quotas, leases and limits to prevent consumption from exceeding prescribed boundaries