Gain transparency and control over IT costs, services and quality with VMware IT Business Management (ITBM) suite. By automating previously manual processes and providing a business context to what IT does, you will move from a technology orientation to a service broker orientation with an IT portfolio of services aligned with business needs. With benchmarks providing objective evidence of where IT is today, where IT could be and illuminating the path to where IT wants to be – ITBM provides the fact-based approach you need to minimize the cost of IT while maximizing competitive advantage so CIO’s and IT executives can run IT like a business.
Gartner Research: Using IT Financial Management to improve Business Results
VMware IT Business Management
Move from a technology orientation of managing servers, storage, networking and applications as silos to a business orientation of managing the services delivered by these elements working together with VMware IT Business Management Suite. By focusing on the services delivered IT becomes a service broker and takes an active role in internal and external sourcing to provide the right service at the right price. This makes it easy for line of business customers to understand the IT services they are consuming and what they cost, making it clear how IT delivers value to the business. VMware IT Business Management uses a fact-based approach and automation to help customers:
- Deliver 360° IT cost transparency
- Act as an IT services broker
- Move from cost center to service provider
360° IT Cost Transparency
VMware ITBM provides 360° transparency into your IT services and the cost of those services by automating otherwise manual and complex processes. Bringing together top down planning and bottom up costing and metering of cloud environments gives you the most objective fact-based snapshot of your IT services and service costs across physical, virtual and cloud environments.
ITBM’s agile cost model enables your IT organization to deterministically model its costs using simple high level and low level allocations to usage based and complex activity-based costing approaches. This deterministic model enables your IT finance team to easily evolve models over time for superior control, agility and transparency compared to inference approaches which use algorithms over which you have little control.
ITBM dashboards provide you and your IT stakeholders the visibility and transparency to run IT like a business, making fact-based decisions with:
- Complete visibility into all IT costs, spending and service levels using cost models to map IT spending to delivered IT services
- Automated process replacing spreadsheets, tribal knowledge and manual calculations with complete unit cost visibility and bills of IT usage
- Role-based dashboards for simpler, business priority based decision making
- Support for bills of IT and showback/chargeback of IT costs
Act as an IT Services Broker to Optimize Costs and Services
Create a service portfolio of all IT services, create new services based on demand and source the right kind of technical services at the best possible costs while maintaining the highest quality. Make decisions based on costs, quality and value while your customers provide feedback through the services they consume. Low demand or low volume services can be evaluated in terms of the cost to support alongside high demand/volume services where potentially too much value is being delivered at too low a cost. You are probably familiar with the near infinite demand for high value services when they are or are perceived to be close to free.
Visibility into costs, service levels/quality, and demand means your IT organization can improve its health by cutting costs in non-strategic or bloated areas while investing in innovation or growth areas in a fact-based, systematic way. Broad and deep benchmarking information makes it easy to identify optimization opportunities with data across 20 industries, 18 Towers, 4 geographies and over 3500 metrics coupled with “what-if” analysis and forecasting capabilities. Sourcing and integration are key elements for Services Brokers and armed with VMware IT industry and functional peer benchmarks, you can negotiate the best possible deals with vendors from Telco services to hardware, software and even support. And, once services are sourced you can manage quality and costs, creating the perfect triangulation of costs, services and value to become a true services broker.
With VMware ITBM you’ll have access to:
- Leading Benchmark information across 18 Towers, 20 industries, 4 geographies and 3500 metrics
- A portfolio view of IT services, costs, trends and TCO to speed decision making
- What-if analysis and forecasting capabilities to model IT decisions
- A digitized process and audit trail to end manual ad hoc spreadsheets and calculations
Move from Cost Center to Service Provider
Quit talking about IT value as uptime, capacity, turnaround time or response time and use business language instead: investments, ROI, prices, demand, quantity consumed and cost/margin. VMware ITBM gives you evidence-based deliverables, including the Bill of IT, Bill of Operations and Service Performance reports showing what IT services have been consumed by whom. This change makes it easy to talk about IT as a valued services provider, partner and broker instead of a cost center.
To transform IT from where it is today to where you want it to be is a lot easier with ITBM. The transparency provided by ITBM and its IT Benchmarking 3rd party objective evidence puts a defensible evidence-based plan within reach. Think of ITBM as a GPS that takes you to your end goal in an informed fashion with business metrics and powerful analysis capabilities.
- Show actual usage of services by business unit, P&L center, and geography
- Report on service SLAs, costs, and trends
- Build what-if scenarios to identify opportunities for lower or higher cost services to better meet the needs of the business
- Track budget variances and spend to date
- Compare yourself to functional and industry peers with with over 3,500 benchmark comparison metrics
Choose a Powerful Yet Flexible Platform
The powerful and scalable J2EE multi-tier platform of VMware ITBM offers a distributed application model, an integrated data interchange based on XML and a unified security model for flexible transaction control when getting data from 3rd party systems and files. Available as a SaaS and on-premise offering, VMware ITBM includes granular data-level and view-level security permissions to grant or limit a given user’s access to specific domains within the system. Third party user authentication options include LDAP, Active Directory and Single Sign On (SSO).
By incorporating data from third party systems and VMware offerings including Chargeback Manager, VMware IT Business Management brings financial awareness and service quality excellence to your IT supply chain. Rather than separate planning, reporting and execution functions, manage your IT supply chain as a unified process. Our comprehensive approach enables you to “follow the money” and take advantage of the emerging world of cloud computing by fully understanding your IT supply chain and how IT delivers value to empower your business.
- Link IT strategy to execution in a systematic way
- Make IT more agile with complete budget accountability
- Forecast KPI performance and credits
- Ensure comprehensive IT-business alignment across the lifecycle of all IT activities
- Showcase your opportunity or superiority against your peers through benchmarks