Consolidate SQL on vSphere
Traditional database consolidation requires painful application migrations, and rigorous processes for version control and continued application compatibility.
Virtualizing Microsoft SQL Server on VMware vSphere simultaneously consolidates databases and optimizes compute resources, while maintaining application flexibility by isolating each database in its own virtual machine. You can migrate SQL Servers in their current state without expensive and error-prone application migrations. We and our partners have demonstrated the capabilities of vSphere to run the most challenging SQL Server workloads with high performance databases. For smaller, departmental databases, vSphere offers high consolidation ratios and advanced resource scheduling features.
Achieve 10X Consolidation on Large Multicore Servers
Large multicore servers have become the norm, but most SQL instances do not require 8 or more cores. With vSphere, smaller SQL databases can be consolidated easily to fully utilize large servers and achieve consolidation ratios of 10X or more.
Minimize Impact on Applications
Preserve your existing SQL Server configurations when you consolidate SQL Server using vSphere by doing a “Physical to Virtual” (P2V) migration. No changes are required to the operating system or SQL Server versions, and no application migration is required. Even the IP address and server name remain unchanged.
Consolidate SQL Server Licenses
Realize significant cost savings on your software licenses. Once all the physical processors of a host have been licensed, you can deploy an unlimited number of SQL virtual machines (depending on the SQL edition that is licensed), consolidating licenses on a small number of physical processors.
- DBA Guide to Databases on VMware - White Paper PDF
- Availability and Recovery Options for Microsoft SQL® on vSphere PDF
- Best Practices Guide for Virtualizing SQL Server PDF
- SQL Server on vSphere FAQ PDF
- Support and Licensing Guide – SQL Server on vSphere PDF
- SQL Server on vSphere - Use Cases PDF
- Reference Architecture: EMC Business Continuity for SQL Server 2008 PDF
- Reference Architecture: EMC Solutions for Tiered Storage for SQL Server 2008 PDF
- Reference Architecture: SQL Server on Dell PowerEdge R810 Servers and EqualLogic Storage PDF
- VMware VROOM! Blog