Amplify your datacenter’s efficiency and agility while enhancing security and control with a private cloud from VMware. Consolidate datacenters and deploy workloads on shared infrastructure with built-in security and role-based access control. Migrate workloads between pools of infrastructure and integrate existing management systems using customer extensions, APIs, and open cross-cloud standards. Deliver cloud infrastructure on-demand so end users can consume virtual resources with maximum agility.
- Download the VMware vCloud Reference Toolkit
- IT Process Institute: Cloud Strategy Brief #1 - IT Value Transformation
- IT Process Institute: Cloud Strategy Brief #2 - Measuring Value
- IT Process Institute: Cloud Strategy Brief #3 - Situational Awareness
- IT Process Institute: Cloud Strategy Brief #4 - Executive Communication Best Practices.
Emerging Datacenter Challenges
Basic virtualization provides customers a fundamentally new level of cost efficiency and agility in delivering IT services. Customers have embraced the capabilities of virtualization to move beyond the highly manual and expensive delivery model of physical infrastructure.
While the virtualized infrastructure is more agile than before, IT teams, with fewer staff and tighter budgets, struggle with high frequency, low governance preproduction requests. They simply cannot manually provision virtual infrastructure on underutilized hardware to cover every request from the business. Frustrated end users end up satisfying their demand for quick access to services with proprietary ungoverned public cloud providers.
More than ever before, IT also needs the security and control necessary to meet enterprise requirements. Cloud infrastructure enables multiple teams, organizations, or business units to all securely consume isolated resources from a common, scalable, and shared infrastructure. The scale and change-awareness required to deliver cloud infrastructure can be challenging to meet using traditional approaches to delivering infrastructure. As businesses grow, it may not be feasible for IT to continue to manually provision virtual infrastructure on underutilized hardware to cover every request from the business.
Enterprise IT has a unique opportunity to address these challenges and deliver this increased business agility by delivering cloud infrastructure in the datacenter without compromising security or control.
Fundamentally, IT needs to overcome these three challenges to amplify the benefits of virtualization and increase agility:
- Underutilized infrastructure distributed in siloes across the enterprise
- Complex, custom, and inflexible application stacks that lock IT services to hardware and require unrepeatable and rigid maintenance processes
- Manual provisioning to enforce the governance and control needed to meet enterprise requirements