VMware Academic Program
The VMware Academic Program (VMAP) is a comprehensive program designed specifically for the academic community. A nominal annual subscription fee of $250 enables qualifying academic users at VMAP member organizations worldwide to gain easy access to cutting-edge virtualization technology and resources.
- Accredited, degree-granting higher education institutions worldwide offering 2- or 4- year college programs are eligible to participate in the program
- Technical schools offering accredited degrees through distance education programs are also eligible to participate in the program
With your annual subscription fee of $250 you will receive:
- Unlimited downloads of software and renewable 365 day fully functional licenses for our most popular products
- Lab Installations - Our partner e-academy is offering installation of VMAP software in a lab environment. Find out more about lab installations.
- Discounted vouchers for the VMware Certified Professional Examination (VCP)
Discounted Academic Licenses
Organizations directly related to the academic institution (e.g. teaching hospitals) are eligible for the educational discount.
If you’re a university or college student, prospective student, or member of the faculty you can receive an academic discount on certain desktop products. Visit the Academic Store for more information.
Discounted licenses are available for:
- Use in the IT department or other infrastructure departments of an eligible institution
- Organizations directly related to the academic institution (e.g. teaching hospitals) are eligible for the educational discount
With your annual subscription qualified members of the academic community can utilize the VMware Academic Program in the following areas:
Instruction – Faculty within member institutions gain access to VMware software licenses free of cost for the purpose of classroom instruction. Students taking qualified courses can also install program software on their personal computers.
Research – Faculty within member institutions gain access to VMware software licenses free of cost as a part of their research projects. Program software can be installed in research labs as well on the personal computers of faculty and students involved in research projects.
Infrastructure – Member Institutions and affiliated organizations can gain access to VMware software licenses at a discounted price for use within their institutional IT and administrative infrastructure. Contact your authorized reseller for more information.
Use of VMware software for instruction and research is governed by specific program guidelines and the conditions described within the VMware Academic Program EULA (End-User License Agreement). The use of software for infrastructure purposes is governed by the VMware Commercial EULA.
The departments at member institutions qualifying for free licenses will gain access to a powerful suite of VMware products, upgrades and a host of technical resources. The free products are ideal for instructional and research use within academic institutions. Included products are:
For students and faculty/staff
- VMware Workstation
- VMware Fusion
- VMware Player
- VMware eLearning
- VMware Sales Professional Certification
For faculty/staff only
- VMware vSphere Enterprise
- VMware vCenter Server Standard
- VMware vCloud Director
Free licenses to available VMware products and eLearning are regularly updated and posted on program members landing page upon login.
The free Licenses available to program members are 365-day evaluation licenses that require a one-time, annual download. Annual product downloads ensure that members receive the most up to date versions of products and also allows us to better maintain accurate member data. Licenses will be administered by Kivuto Solutions, Inc. who will contact schools to set up the e-academy license management and distribution system (ELMS).
For IT and other infrastructure use, eligible institutions can access the entire suite of VMware software, at a special discounted price, through standard VMware commercial sales channels.