Get the Simplest and Most Reliable Disaster Protection for All Your Applications
Now you can afford to protect all your applications instead of having to prioritize which business critical apps deserve disaster protection. VMware® vCenter™ Site Recovery Manager™ leverages cost-efficient vSphere Replication or storage-based replication to provide:
- Simple management of recovery and migration plans
- Non-disruptive testing
- Fully automated site recovery and migration
VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager delivers advanced capabilities for replication, disaster recovery management, non-disruptive testing, automated failover and failback, and planned migration. VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager can manage failover from production datacenters to disaster recovery sites, as well as failover between two sites with active workloads. Multiple sites can even recover into a single shared recovery site. Site Recovery Manager is often used for planned migrations and preventive failovers to avoid disasters.
Centralized Recovery Plans
- Create and manage recovery plans directly from VMware vCenter Server
- Discover and display virtual machines protected by storage or vSphere replication
- Map virtual machines to appropriate resources on the failover site (resource pools, network, VM folders)
- Specify boot sequence of virtual machines
- Customize re-IPing of virtual machines
- Customize shut down of low priority virtual machines at the failover site
- Extend recovery plans with custom scripts.
- Control access to recovery plans with granular role-based access controls
- Recover multiple sites into a single shared recovery site.
- Automate execution of recovery tests.
- Use storage snapshot capabilities to perform recovery tests without impacting on-going replication.
- Connect virtual machines to an isolated network to avoid impacting production applications
- Store, view and export results of test and failover execution from VMware vCenter Server.
- Customize execution of recovery plans for testing scenarios.
- Automate cleanup of testing environments after completing tests
Automated DR Failover
- Monitor site availability and alert users of possible site failures
- Initiate recovery plan execution from VMware vCenter Server with a single button.
- Stop replication and automate promotion of replicated datastores for recovery Shut down low-priority virtual machines at failover site
- Boot protected virtual machines with pre-specified boot sequence
- Execute user-defined scripts and pauses during recovery.
- Reconfigure virtual machines’ IP addresses to match network configuration at failover site.
- Manage and monitor execution of recovery plans within VMware vCenter Server.
Support for vSphere Replication
- Support use of low-end storage, including Direct-Attached Storage
- Manage replication directly through vCenter, at a more granular and flexible ‘virtual machine’ level
- Ensure tight integration with Site Recovery Manager for coordinated failover
- Support flexible RPOs of 15 minutes to 24 hours
- Replicate only the most recent data in changed disk areas to increase network efficiency
- Scale to hundreds of virtual machines per cluster
- Eliminate requirement for having identical storage arrays across sites
Support For Third-Party Storage-Based Replication
- Provide broad choice of replication through compatibility with storage arrays and replication products from all major vendors. Download full list of compatible arrays.
- Leverage iSCSI, FibreChannel, or NFS-based storage replication solutions
- Use storage snapshot capabilities to perform recovery tests without losing replicated data
- Ensure tight integration with SRM through 'Storage Replication Adapters' (SRA)
- Discover and display virtual machines protected by storage replication using integrations certified by storage vendors
- Coordinate replication and data sync operations with DR failovers and planned migrations
- Automate failback to original production site when the site has not undergone extensive change
- Re-protect virtual machines by automatically reversing replication to original site
- Execute original recovery plan in reverse direction
- Automated failback is available with storage-based replication, but not available with vSphere Replication
- Use Planned Migration to ensure complete replication of virtual machines, in an application-consistent state, prior to executing recovery
- Execute graceful shut down of protected virtual machines at the original site
- Perform ‘data sync’ to force complete replication of powered off virtual machines to the failover site
- Execute recovery plan leveraging application-consistent virtual machines at the failover site
Flexible VM boot sequence
- vCenter Site Recovery Manager now supports 4 VM boot sequence priority levels
- Ensures complete control of recovery process at the failover site
New User Interface
- More intuitive user interface
- View SRM configurations across both sites without vCenter Linked Mode
- APIs provided at both protected and recovery sites
- Protected site APIs enable the protection of VMs, and provide status information on replication, protection groups, and VM protection
- Recovery site APIs enable the execution of recovery plans, as well as provide information on recovery plans, and recovery plan execution
Fast IP customization
- IP addresses of recovered virtual machines can be customized in a few seconds – much faster than with the older Sysprep implementation
- Data Sheet
- What's New in VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager 5 Technical Whitepaper
- Screen Shots of Setup Process
- Case Studies
- TCO Calculator