Get centralized patch management and asset inventory for Windows and third party applications for both virtual and physical machines with vCenter Protect Standard. Add centralized antivirus, power management, and ITScripts with vCenter Protect Advanced. Reduce cost and complexity with an integrated approach to IT security and compliance.
- Keep desktop and server software up to date with patch management
- Always be "audit-ready" with asset inventory of both physical and virtual assets
- Use agentless or agent-based solutions as required by your environment
- Create a strong layer in computer security with integrated patch and antivirus
vCenter Protect Advanced
All of the features of Protect Standard, with the addition of antivirus, power management, and advanced ITScripting with vCenter Protect Advanced.
- Complete protection against the top security threats – operating system patching, application-level patching, virtual machine patching, and antivirus
- Schedule data file downloads for new patch and/or antivirus/spyware signatures
- View patch and threat information at the same time
- Real-time file scanning for all threats – including spyware, adware, malware, and viruses
- Power machines off in the evenings and on weekends and wake machines up to deploy critical security patches and then put them back in a power saving state automatically to reduce attack surfaces and save energy
- Wake-on-LAN services (remotely power on machines for patching then power down)
- Save energy and money by powering off computers at night and on weekends
- Support for industry-standard scripting language, Microsoft PowerShell®
- Ability to build unique workflow processes
- Configuration ITScripts: These can modify a system's settings to correct behavior or resolve issues. This could include, but is not limited to enabling or disabling of services, modification to registry and file system, etc. For example:
- ITScripts disabling auto update services known to install with third party products that VMware vCenter Protect supports, such as Apple, Adobe, Mozilla, and Java Updaters.
- Installation of printers, VPN configuration, USB configuration, and other common machine configuration settings.
- ITScripts to simplify the creation and enforcement of common GPO settings.
- Maintenance ITScripts: These focus on regular maintenance tasks for servers and workstations, but may also include some application specific maintenance. For example, resetting local admin password, removing temp files and internet files, and Protect console temp files and repository cleanup.
- Information ITScripts: These include scripts relating to collecting information from machines such as last boot time, service tag, running services, existing shares, system event logs, etc. These scripts may be used to validate settings, assist in day-to-day troubleshooting for admins outside of Patch Management, collect data that generally require a lot of manual effort.
- Network ITScripts: These will focus on network related protocols and troubleshooting such as port scanning, machine resolution, etc.
Snapshot Backup Recovery
- Take and manage "snapshots" of VMs (virtual machines) - both immediately before and immediately after patching
- Automate backup process so a current and relevant backup copy of VMs is immediately available for roll-back or disaster recovery
Template VM Patching
A template is a master copy of a virtual machine that can be used to quickly and consistently create and provision new virtual machines. The template image typically includes a specified operating system and configuration that provides virtual counterparts to hardware components. Normally, a template includes an installed guest operating system and a set of applications. VMware vCenter Protect supports template patch updates to ensure that these templates are always at a ready patched status consistent with policy so that when they are brought online they don’t place your network at any security, stability or compliance risk.