Virtualization economics and increased productivity
- Server virtualization: vSphere provides compute virtualization and support for business critical applications and next-generation big data applications with proven CAPEX and OPEX savings of 70% and 56%
- Capacity management and optimization: Proactive analysis and smart alerts identify idle and over-provisioned VMs to right-size VMs and optimize density so that IT gets more out of their infrastructure investments.
- Performance and health monitoring, Quality-of-Service management: Predict and respond to infrastructure and application issues before they impact service quality to maximize infrastructure utilization and ensure applications meet their SLA and OLA targets.
- Centralized monitoring and management of infrastructure and applications: Customizable dashboards and 3rd party adaptors provide flexibility to manage unique IT environments at the infrastructure, OS, and application levels.
- vSphere ESXi – Deploy the industry’s most capable bare-metal hypervisor, with a small disk footprint for high security and low maintenance
- DRS – Automatically balance loads across hosts to align resource allocation with business priorities.
- vMotion — Implement live virtual machine migration to eliminate application downtime from planned server maintenance.
- VMFS – Simplify virtual machine provisioning and administration with a high-performance virtual machine-optimized cluster file system.
- Flash read cache – Accelerate performance for mission-critical applications by 5x to 10x with SSD virtualization combined with a host-based cache.
- Replication – Use virtual machine-level replication by the vSphere host for more granular and flexible recovery options.
- Big Data Extensions – Virtualize and elastically run big-data workloads, including all major Hadoop distributions.
Storage and availability
- Storage DRS – Intelligently place and load-balance virtual machines based on I/O latency and storage capacity.
- Storage vMotion – Employ proactive, non-disruptive storage migration to eliminate virtual machine storage I/O bottlenecks and free up valuable storage capacity.
- Application HA – Gain high availability that is tied to specific applications.
- Data protection – Employ a back-up and recovery tool and appliance based on EMC Avamar.
Management and automation
- Comprehensive visibility – Leverage a single unified console to manage thousands of virtual machines, physical servers and applications across multiple datacenters.
- Health and workload views – Benefit from visually intuitive real-time displays that reveal anomalies, faults and stressed workloads that can degrade infrastructure health and performance.
- Performance analytics – Apply self-learning analytics that discover your environment's behavior and adjust thresholds dynamically, freeing you from a flood of low-level metrics and alert storms.
- Smart alerts – Receive proactive alerts accompanied by detailed metrics and root cause analyses, providing the context and intelligence to resolve potential issues in advance.
- Advanced capacity management – Drill into detailed views and analytics that reveal under- and over-provisioned virtual machines to guide you in reclaiming idle resources, increasing virtual machine densities and optimizing resource allocation.
- Capacity trending and analysis – Gain insight into current and future resource needs and usage with performance trending, forward-looking projections and extended forecasts.
- Heat map views – Quickly identify resource constraints and potential bottlenecks across the entire infrastructure through capacity-specific mapping.
Infrastructure, applications, and services at business speed
- Rapid infrastructure and application delivery for vSphere private clouds: Provision complete infrastructure including compute, networking, security, storage, and applications across multiple hardware platforms.
- Self-service portal and catalog: An on-demand “IT storefront” enabling authorized users to self-provision infrastructure, platform, and desktop services improving the time-to-value of business solutions.
Management and automation
- Business-aware provisioning, governance and controls – Apply and manage compute resources to match the way you do business.
- Virtual data centers – Create elastic virtual constructs containing all the infrastructure services required to make workloads operation in minutes.
- Desktops as a Service (DaaS) – Deliver VMware Horizon™ (with View) virtual desktops for an enhanced end-user computing experience with higher security, easier management and lower cost.
- Workflow designer – Easily create and customize workflows, with automatic error-checking logic to verify the correct configuration of activity parameters.
- Activity library – Use a graphical user interface to easily add predefined tasks to an existing workflow.
- vApp catalog – Standardize and simplify operations with catalog-based deployment and consumption of multi-tier applications as pre-configured virtual appliances, at the click of a button.
- Application blueprints – Create application blueprints with a graphical drag-and-drop canvas that makes it easy to plan and deploy complex apps.
- Re-usable application architectures – Build best-practice application architectures that can be shared and re-used across teams, organizations and clouds.
- Resource reservations – Allocate resources to a specific group and prevent their inadvertent use by others.
- Service levels – Define the amount and type of resources a given service can receive, either during initial provisioning or as part of a configuration change.
- Resource governor – Place physical, virtual and cloud-based machines on the appropriate service tiers and balance loads across available resources.
- Build specifications – Outline the automation policies for building or reconfiguring compute resources.
- Resource utilization – Drive higher utilization by monitoring and dynamically balancing available resources across groups.
- Resource reclamation – Identify and reclaim inactive and abandoned resources by automating the decommissioning and reuse of retired resources.
- Support for all application stacks – Run any packaged application (including all Microsoft applications) and any custom apps developed with Java, .NET, Ruby and more.
- Extensibility – Integrate your VMware-based private cloud with existing infrastructures or workflows, customize any workflow and create any service (XaaS).
Business-aware control for unique IT environments
- Protection for all applications with policy-based disaster recovery management: Reliably migrate VMs and automate site availability workflows for testing, failover, planned migration and failback through centrally managed recovery plans that are simple to keep up to date, which reduces operational complexity to lower disaster recovery management costs by 50% (Forrester, 2013).
- Policy-based provisioning and governance: Role-based allocation of IT resources governed by costs, capacity, and business rules with support for approval and lifecycle management workflows.
- Rules-based configuration and monitoring of compliance: Protect every virtualized workload with custom security and compliance policies that follow workloads across data centers.
- Proactive analysis and smart alerts: Operational analytics provide rapid discovery and root-cause analysis of IT issues for substantial reductions in downtime, MTTI, and MTTR.
Storage and availability
- Centralized recovery plans – Capture the complete recovery process in minutes instead of weeks, with a simple, automated centralized plan that covers multiple sites.
- Non-disruptive testing – Run frequent automated tests of your recovery plan without impacting production systems.
- Automated DR failover – Streamline and customize recovery plan execution with a host of user options such as shutdown of low-priority virtual machines at the failover site.
- Broad range of replication options – Utilize vSphere Replication for simple, cost-effective replication, and choose among third-party storage-based solutions for large business-critical environments.
- Automated failback – Automate failback of virtual machines to their initial production site for more efficient routine migrations.
- Planned migrations – Execute preventive failovers to avert imminent disasters, and planned migrations for global load balancing or to avoid downtime due to upcoming maintenance windows.
Network and security
- Integrated edge security – Deploy an efficient and cost-effective virtual appliance that combines a firewall with integrated gateway services such as NAT, load balancer, VPN and DHCP.
- Application-specific isolation – Maintain isolation and segmentation with vNIC-level firewalling as VMs migrate from host to host, creating logical and elastic trust zones protected from network-based threats.
- VXLAN logical networks – Shape highly efficient, scalable virtual networks that span virtual resource pools and physical boundaries, and segment them into logical networks attached to applications.
- Data security – Ensure compliance by scanning virtual workloads for sensitive data and reporting any violations of country- and industry-specific regulations
Management and automation
- Centralized control – Leverage a central point of control for deploying, managing, reporting, logging and integrating third-party security and gateway services.
- Model and publish standardized applications – Create visual blueprints of application deployment topologies with an intuitive drag-and-drop canvas.
- Customizable monitoring dashboard – Monitor multiple services from a centralized display.