Pivotal and VMware are partnering to deliver well-managed, agile and secure data and application infrastructure for VMware environments across public, private and hybrid clouds. Pivotal tc Server formerly known as VMware vFabric tc Server, is now part of the Pivotal portfolio of products.
Pivotal tc Server provides companies with a secure, supported, and extended Java application server based on and fully compatible with Apache Tomcat. Many companies are attracted by the simplicity and performance of Tomcat but must balance that simplicity with the responsibility of running large server farms hosting mission-critical applications. Pivotal tc Server strikes that balance for both development and operations teams by including optional extensions and packages that facilitate installation, maintenance, upgrade, and performance management, without breaking the essential qualities that make Tomcat so popular.
Pivotal tc Server contains all of vanilla Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 8, and has a few optional extensions designed to make it easier to deploy and maintain. Broken out into three groups, highlighted differences include:
- These changes do not involve any code alterations, they are strictly configuration options present in Tomcat that we implement.
- Multi-instance support using shared binaries - makes upgrading and downgrading the Tomcat version trivially easy for one or many instances – so you can keep your servers up to date and secure.
- Variable substation in configuration files – enables a single configuration to be rolled out to many instances in a farm and enhances consistency.
- Asynchronous Logging – Prevents application slowdowns due to log file contention.
- Security Tuning – some basic changes to ports and JMX monitoring access.
- Additional functionality provided by Pivotal to enhance Tomcat
- Back-ported bug fixes in maintenance releases - e.g. tomcat-7.0.32.B.RELEASE
- Diagnostics Valve - detailed troubleshooting info in real time when apps become slow to respond
- Configuration Templates – including ability to create custom templates
- Change Tomcat log level via JMX without restarting
- Advanced Session replication with Redis and GemFire
- Oracle Database Connection Proxy - Multiple applications can share a connection while maintaining individual connection identities
Add-Ons and Additional Utilities included
- Improved Windows Service Wrapper
- RPM / APT-GET / Debian installers for Linux
- Startup scripts for Linux
- Chef Recipes
- Puppet Scripts
- Hosted Maven repository with easily-embedded Pivotal tc Server
- Password encryption for database connection identities
- Spring Insight for Developers and Operations
Out-of-the-Box L2 and Session Caching
- Highly scalable and reliable Hibernate L2 caching using a pre-built template for Pivotal GemFire running in Pivotal tc Server, for faster access to data while reducing load on traditional databases
- HTTP session replication via Pivotal GemFire to keep frequently-accessed session data close to application logic, reducing application response times
- Drop-in compatibility with existing Apache Tomcat applications
- Enterprise-class 24x7 production and developer support from the Tomcat experts
- Certified software, updates, and patches
Performance Monitoring and Diagnostics
- Detection, analysis and diagnosis of application performance issues during development
- Real-time insight into the performance and behavior of Spring applications
- Built-in advanced application management and reporting tools