Storage vendors can use the VMware vSphere® API for Storage Awareness (VASA) to provide vSphere with information about specific disk arrays for tighter integration between storage and the virtual infrastructure. The shared information includes details on storage virtualization, including health status, configuration, capacity and thin provisioning. This level of detail can now be passed up through VMware® vCenter Server™ to the user.
- Gather information around specific disk array features (such as snapshot, deduplication, replication state, RAID levels, and thin or thick provisioned) and status (health, troubleshooting and so on).
- Make it easy for administrators to select the most appropriate storage resources when a virtual machine is created based on high-level details around capacity, performance and capabilities of the underlying disk.
- Integrate with other vSphere features, like VMware vSphere® Storage DRS™ and Profile-Driven Storage.
- Array Integration APIs are included with the VMware vSphere® Enterprise Plus Edition™.
vSphere offers an API to offload specific storage operations to supported disk arrays for unparalleled performance and efficiency. With the vSphere API for Array Integration (VAAI), vSphere can perform key operations faster and consume less CPU, memory and storage bandwidth.
- Offload block copy and block zeroing to the array.
- Support dead space reclamation and out-of-space warnings in thin-provisioned arrays.
- Fully support NAS as well as block-based storage.
- These API's are included with the VMware vSphere® Enterprise Edition™ and vSphere Enterprise Plus.
Improve storage I/O performance and reliability by integrating with third-party storage vendor multipath software features.
- Modular storage architecture allows storage partners to write a plug in for their specific capabilities.
- Plug ins communicate with the intelligence running in the storage array to determine the best path selection, as well as leverage parallel paths to increase I/O performance and reliability from the vSphere host to the storage array.
- These API's are included with vSphere Enterprise and vSphere Enterprise Plus.
Achieve scalable backup without disrupting applications and users with backup software that leverages the VMware vSphere® Storage APIs - Data Protection. vSphere Storage APIs - Data Protection enables backup software to perform centralized virtual machine backups without the disruption and overhead of running backup tasks from inside each virtual machine.
- Perform full, differential and incremental virtual machine image backup and restore.
- Perform file-level virtual machine backup using supported Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Ensure data consistency by using Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) for virtual machines running supported Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- The vSphere Storage APIs - Data Protection is included with all vSphere editions and kits.