Traditional application-level clustering solutions tend to be costly, hard to implement and difficult to manage. With VMware vSphere, you can increase the baseline level of availability for all your applications and ensure service level agreements are met. Slash planned downtime, prevent unplanned downtime and recover rapidly from outages as you:
- Eliminate planned downtime for common maintenance operations
- Provide higher availability independent of hardware, operating system, and applications
- Recover rapidly from server failures with automatic virtual machine restarts
- Ensure continuous availability against server failures
Planned downtime for local system maintenance is the number one cause of downtime in physical environments. IT organizations have to schedule maintenance windows long ahead of time at inconvenient times to minimize the business impact. VMware vSphere enables organizations to eliminate planned downtime and perform system maintenance at any time to reduce the burden on IT.
- VMware vMotion eliminates the need to schedule application downtime due to planned server maintenance through live migration of virtual machines across servers with no disruption to users or loss of service.
- VMware Storage vMotion eliminates the need to schedule application downtime due to planned storage maintenance or during storage migrations by enabling live migration of virtual machine disks with no disruption to users or loss of service.
Due to the complexity and cost of application-level clustering, only a minority of applications are typically protected with these solutions. In physical environments, that leaves the majority of applications with no protection against unplanned downtime. VMware provides a set of capabilities to provide simple and cost-effective availability for all applications running on vSphere.