Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
Simple and reliable disaster recovery for all your applications
Many organizations today do not have adequate disaster recovery (DR) protection for their applications. In most cases, disaster recovery is perceived as too expensive, complex and unreliable for any but the most mission-critical applications.
Disaster recovery is a form of insurance to protect your IT assets when a disaster strikes. Just like good insurance, the best disaster recovery should provide great protection, with minimum hassle, at the lowest possible cost. VMware provides the most reliable, cost-effective and simplified disaster protection for all virtualized applications.
With VMware solutions, your organizations can effectively meet core requirements for disaster recovery:
- Rapid recovery with automated failover
- Reliable recovery with non-disruptive testing and automation of recovery plans
- Affordable recovery with seconday site flexibility providing options to leverage third-party services for failover
Build a Foundation for Your Disaster Recovery
VMware vSphere® provides the best foundation for building disaster recovery solutions. With vSphere, you can reduce the cost of disaster recovery and simplify your disaster recovery plans. vSphere provides the following key capabilities to improve disaster recovery:
- Consolidation – Hardware infrastructure can be consolidated at both the production and failover sites to reduce costs.
- Hardware independence – Virtual machines are completely independent from their underlying hardware. Organizations can use different, older or less expensive hardware at the failover site to reduce costs.
- Encapsulation – With vSphere, the entire system—including operating system, applications and data—is encapsulated as a set of virtual machine files. By replicating those files to the failover site, the entire system can be recovered in a fast single-step process, accelerating typical recovery times from an average of 40 hours down to an hour or less.
- vSphere Replication – vSphere Replication is the industry's first hypervisor-based replication engine, purpose-built for vSphere and Site Recovery Manager. vSphere Replication is simple to manage and supports flexible Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs) of 15 minutes to 24 hours, replicating only changes for efficient network utilization.
Centralize Management and Automate Recovery
VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager complements vSphere to ensure the simplest and most reliable disaster protection for all virtualized applications. vCenter Site Recovery Manager leverages cost-efficient vSphere Replication or storage-based replication to provide centralized management of recovery plans, enable non-disruptive testing, and automate site recovery and migration processes. vCenter Site Recovery Manager provides the following key capabilities:
- Centralized recovery plans – With vCenter Site Recovery Manager, setting up a centralized and automated recovery plan is simple and can be done in a matter of minutes through an interface that is tightly integrated with vCenter Server.
- Automated failover and site migrations – vCenter Site Recovery Manager automates the entire site recovery and migration process. Upon initiating a disaster failover, business services are automatically recovered with limited or no manual intervention.
- Non-disruptive testing – With vCenter Site Recovery Manager, failover testing can be performed as frequently as required and is non-disruptive to production systems. Organizations are able to quickly identify any problems with recovery plans to enable fast resolution.
- Broad choice of replication options to best align costs with business requirements – Use built-in vSphere Replication for affordable replication, or use storage-based replication for large, business-critical environments. vCenter Site Recovery Manager supports a broad range of storage-based replication products from VMware's storage partners.