Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
Ensure simple, cost-effective availability for all your applications
Traditional application-level clustering solutions are costly, hard to implement and difficult to manage. With VMware vSphere®, you can increase the baseline level of availability for all your applications and ensure service level agreements are met. Slash planned downtime, prevent unplanned downtime and recover rapidly from outages as you:
- Eliminate planned downtime for common maintenance operations.
- Provide higher availability independent of hardware, operating system and applications.
- Recover rapidly from operating system and server failures with automatic virtual machine restarts.
Planned downtime for local system maintenance is the number one cause of downtime in IT environments. Maintenance windows are scheduled long ahead of time for evenings or weekends to minimize business impact. VMware vSphere enables organizations to eliminate planned downtime and perform system maintenance at any time to reduce the burden on IT and without affecting service.
- VMware vMotion eliminates the need to schedule application downtime due to planned server maintenance by leveraging live migration of virtual machines across servers with no impact to users or service.
- VMware Storage vMotion eliminates the need to schedule application downtime due to planned storage maintenance or during storage migrations by enabling live migration of virtual machine disks with no impact to users or service.
Due to the complexity and cost of application-level clustering, only a minority of applications are typically protected with these solutions. In traditional IT environments, that leaves the majority of applications with no protection against unplanned downtime. VMware provides a set of capabilities to provide simple and cost-effective availability for all applications running on VMware vSphere.
- VMware vSphere High Availability (HA) provides cost effective, automated restart within minutes for all applications in the event of hardware or operating system failures.
- VMware vSphere Fault Tolerance (FT) provides continuous availability, without data loss or downtime for any virtualized application.