VMware News Releases
VMware Introduces Cloud Application Platform to Drive IT as a Service
New VMware vFabric™ includes modern application framework and integrated platform services to deliver speed, portability, and optimized use of cloud infrastructure
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., August 31, 2010 — Today at VMworld 2010, VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, introduced its cloud application platform strategy and solutions, enabling developers to build and run modern applications that intelligently share information with underlying infrastructure to maximize application performance, quality of service and infrastructure utilization.
VMware vFabric™ cloud application platform combines the market-leading Spring Java development framework with platform services including lightweight application server, global data management, cloud-ready messaging, dynamic load balancing and application performance management. Applications built on VMware vFabric provide performance and portability across heterogeneous cloud environments.
Principles that have defined today’s most demanding consumer applications – built-in scalability, new data models, distributed infrastructures – are heavily influencing the production of new internal customer enterprise applications. As such, these modern applications need to support dynamic user interactions, low-latency data access and virtual infrastructure all while meeting the security and compliance demands of the enterprise. VMware vFabric is uniquely optimized for cloud computing’s increasingly dynamic architectures, unlike traditional middleware that requires complete stack control.
“With the rise of virtualization and modern development frameworks, a fundamentally more productive and portable approach to delivering new applications has emerged,” said Rod Johnson, SVP of the application platform division of VMware. “We're moving into an era where developers can build great applications and immediately deploy those applications onto a modern platform that provisions and configures itself on demand and intelligently runs and scales the application based on policy.”
"IT is undergoing a transformation: Applications are changing, infrastructure is changing, and organizations are looking for a pathway to harness the promise of the cloud,” said Rachel Chalmers, director, Infrastructure, The 451 Group. “Application platforms of today have markedly different requirements than those we have relied upon in the past. VMware vFabric™ is evolving to meet the needs of today's organizations."
VMware vFabric Delivers Developer Productivity and Operational Agility for Cloud-generation Applications
Applications are increasingly built with modern development frameworks that leverage runtime and data management services that are much more agile and designed for virtualization. An open solution, VMware vFabric will initially target the 2.5 million users that develop Spring Java applications. VMware vFabric will deliver the following key benefits:
- Maximize Speed and Innovation: Customers can bring modern applications to market faster and with less complexity; new applications can be delivered in days or weeks rather than months or years, and at scale.
- Extend the Benefits of Virtualization to the Application: VMware vFabric can coordinate with underlying infrastructure to help ensure optimal application performance, quality of service and infrastructure resource utilization.
- An Evolutionary Path to the Cloud: Developers will be able to build new applications in a familiar and productive way while enabling the choice of where to run them, whether on premise or in public clouds such as VMforce™ or Google.
Spring can speed development by more than 50 percent through developer tools and features that make it easy to create new applications that:
- Provide a rich, modern user experience across a range of platforms, browsers and personal devices
- Integrate applications using proven Enterprise Application Integration patterns, including batch processing
- Access data in a wide range of structured and unstructured formats
- Leverage popular social media services and cloud service APIs
VMware vFabric Integrated Application Services
The VMware cloud application platform delivers modern middleware infrastructure to developers, application architects and IT teams as a collection of cloud-scale, integrated services:
- Lightweight Application Server: tc Server an enterprise version of Apache Tomcat, is optimized for Spring and VMware vSphere™ and can be instantaneously provisioned to meet the scalability needs of modern applications.
- Data Management Services: GemFire speeds application performance and eliminates database bottlenecks by providing real-time access to globally distributed data.
- Cloud-Ready Messaging Service: RabbitMQ™ facilitates communications between applications inside and outside the datacenter.
- Dynamic Load Balancer: ERS, an enterprise version Apache web server, helps ensure optimal performance by distributing and balancing application load.
- Application Performance Management: Hyperic™ enables proactive performance management through transparent visibility into modern applications deployed across physical, virtual and cloud environments.
Spring and the VMware vFabric family of products are available today for download. For additional information about VMware’s cloud application platform, please visit www.springsource.com/products/cloud-application-platform
VMware offre soluzioni per la virtualizzazione e per le infrastrutture cloud che consentono alle organizzazioni IT di guidare la crescita di aziende di ogni dimensione. Grazie alle caratteristiche e ai benefici della piattaforma di virtualizzazione – VMware vSphere™ – le aziende si affidano a VMware per ridurre costi fissi e variabili, migliorare la flessibilità, garantire continuità di business, rafforzare la sicurezza e salvaguardare l’ambiente. Con un fatturato 2009 pari a 2 miliardi di dollari, oltre 190.000 clienti e più di 25.000 partner, VMware è leader di mercato nella virtualizzazione, che si conferma una delle priorità strategiche nell’agenda dei CIO. VMware ha sede nella Silicon Valley con uffici in tutto il mondo e può essere raggiunta online su www.vmware.com
VMware, VMware vCloud, VMware vSphere, VMware vShield and VMworld are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
Stefania Cugini VMware ItaliaTel.: +39 02 6203 1Email: firstname.lastname@example.org