Automate and simplify physical to virtual machine conversions as well as conversions between virtual machine formats with VMware vCenter Converter. Use the intuitive wizard-driven interface of VMware vCenter Converter to transform your physical machines to virtual machines.
- Convert Microsoft Windows and Linux-based physical machines and third-party image formats to VMware virtual machines.
- Complete multiple conversions simultaneously with a centralized management console.
- Minimize the number of steps to conversion with easy-to-use wizards.
VMware vCenter Converter Features
VMware vCenter Converter lets users quickly, easily and affordably convert Microsoft Windows and Linux-based physical machines and third-party image formats to VMware virtual machines. It also converts virtual machines between VMware platforms.
Performance and Reliability
- Multiple simultaneous conversions enable large-scale virtualization implementations
- Quiescing and snapshotting of the guest OS on the source machine before migrating the data ensures conversion reliability
- Hot cloning makes conversions non-disruptive—with no source server downtime or reboot
- Sector-based copying enhances cloning and conversion speed
- Support for cold cloning (conversion that requires server downtime and reboot) in addition to hot cloning
- Centralized management console allows users to queue up and monitor multiple simultaneous remote as well as local conversions
- Easy to use wizards to minimize the number of steps to conversion
- Support for both local and remote cloning enables conversions in remote locations such as branch offices
Interoperability: Broad support for source physical machines and image formats
Broad support for source physical machines and image formats.
- Source physical machines running 64-bit Windows XP/2003, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Linux (RHEL, SUSE and Ubuntu)
- Source third party images: Microsoft Hyper-V, Microsoft Virtual Server, Microsoft Virtual PC, Parallels Desktop, Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery (formerly called Live State Recovery), Norton Ghost, Acronis, and StorageCraft
- Source/Destination virtual machines: VMware Workstation, VMware GSX Server, VMware Player, VMware Server, VMware Fusion, VMware ESX (Managed by VMware VirtualCenter 2.x)