Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
Ensure simple, cost-effective availability for all your applications
Traditional application-level clustering solutions are costly, hard to implement and difficult to manage. With VMware vSphere, you increase the baseline level of availability for all your applications and ensure service level agreements are met.
In addition, you can slash planned downtime, prevent unplanned downtime and recover rapidly from outages as you:
- Eliminate planned downtime for common maintenance operations.
- Provide higher availability independent of hardware, operating system and applications.
- Recovery rapidly from operating system and server failures with automatic virtual machine restarts
Planned downtime for local system maintenance is the number one cause of downtime in IT environments. Maintenance windows are scheduled long ahead of time for evenings or weekends to minimize business impact. VMware vSphere enables organizations to eliminate planned downtime and perform system maintenance at any time to reduce the burden on IT and without affecting service
- VMware vSphere vMotion leverages the complete virtualization of servers, storage and networking to move an entire running virtual machine instantaneously from one server to another.
- VMware vSphere Storage vMotion provides the ability to perform live migration of FM disk files across heterogeneous storage arrays with complete transaction integrity and application availability.
Due to the complexity and cost of application-level clustering, only a minority of applications are typically protected with these solutions. In traditional IT environments, that leaves the majority of applications with no protection against unplanned downtime. VMware provides a set of capabilities to provide simple and cost-effective availability for all applications running on VMware vSphere.
- VMware vSphere Fault Tolerance provides continuous availability for applications in the event of server failures by creating a live shadow instance of a VM that is in virtual lockstep with the primary instance.
- VMware vSphere High Availability reduces application downtime by automatically restarting VMs on available servers upon detecting server hardware or guest operating system failures.
- VMware vSphere Application High Availability complements the functionality of vSphere High Availability with application-level monitoring and automated remediation.
5 Ways to Protect Your Business
See how virtualization can protect your business now with simplified backup & recovery and protection against site failures, and more.
vSphere Uptime Blog
Stay up to date on the latest features of vSphere that help your business prevent downtime and meet service-level agreements.