Protect all your virtual machines and mission-critical applications with vSphere® Data Protection™ (VDP) Advanced, VMware's backup and recovery solution with built-in backup data replication.
Efficient, Reliable Backup
Deduplication – reduces storage consumption by 4x compared to fixed-length deduplication.
- Variable-length – Data is broken into segments of dynamic length. It provides the highest rates in the industry – on average 99% for file systems and 96% for databases.
- Global – Deduplication is performed across all virtual machines protected by the same VDP Advanced virtual appliance.
- Client-side – For guest-level backups, the application-aware agents eliminate redundant data at the VM, prior to being sent through the network, thus reducing backup time and the amount of data sent through vSphere resources.
- EMC Data Domain integration – Back up to Data Domain systems using VDP Advanced as the front-end, leveraging Data Domain Boost software to increase backup throughput by 50% and to decrease network bandwidth by up to 99%.
Agents for mission-critical apps – A lightweight agent installed as a guest communicates with the backup APIs of the application, ensuring application consistency and enabling granular backup and recovery.
- Microsoft SQL Server agent – Delivers granular backup and recovery of the entire application, individual databases, or only logs.
- Microsoft Exchange Server agent – Delivers application-consistent backup and granular recovery of individual databases and even mailboxes.
- Microsoft SharePoint agent – Provides application-consistent backup and recovery for SharePoint with client-side deduplication.
Faster, Assured Recovery
- Changed Block Tracking restore – accelerate the speed of recovery by 6x compared to traditional full image restores by restoring only the delta of changed blocks between the production VM and the last restore point.
Network-efficient, secure backup replication– highly efficient deduplication at the source and target, along with compression and encryption, ensures that backup data is optimized for WAN transmission.
- Flexible schedules and retentions– select which backups to replicate and define an independent replication schedule and retention policy.
- Multiple replication topologies– replicate in 1 to 1, 1 to many (fan-out) and many to 1 (fan-in) configurations
Multiple replication targets– Integration with EMC backup solution offer choice for replication targets
- VDP Advanced – replicate to another VDP Advanced virtual appliance
- Data Domain – use VDP Advanced to manage replication between Data Domain system
- EMC Avamar – replicate directly from a VDP Advanced appliance to an EMC Avamar grid.
- Automated backup verification – automated restores to an isolated “sandbox” environment executed according to user-defined schedules ensure that every backup is recoverable without manual processes involved.
Simple, Integrated Management
- Virtual appliance deployment – Linux-based appliance makes the solution simple to install and configure.
- vSphere Web Client integration – Provides end-to-end management of the entire virtual infrastructure, including backup and recovery, from a single user interface.
- Simplified backup policies – Easy creation of backup jobs for individual virtual machines or larger containers with specified schedules and retentions, all with just a few clicks.
- One-step recovery – Incremental-forever full backups enable simple browsing of restore points for a single-step recovery of virtual machines, without the need for agents.
- Self-service file-level recovery (FLR) – Enables guest OS administrators and application owners to easily restore individual files and folders using a supported Web browser, without the need for agents.