Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
Simple and reliable disaster recovery for all your applications
Many organizations today do not have adequate disaster recovery (DR) protection for their applications. In most cases, disaster recovery is perceived as too expensive, complex and unreliable for any but the most mission-critical applications. Disaster recovery is a form of insurance to protect your IT assets when a disaster strikes. Just like good insurance, the best disaster recovery should provide great protection, with minimum hassle, at the lowest possible cost.
VMware provides you with better flexibility to protect your business critical information in VMware vSphere® environments, whether you choose to build your own solution or subscribe to disaster recovery services on VMware vCloud® Air™.
Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery
VMware vCloud® Air™ Disaster Recovery is a recovery-as-a-service offering that introduces native cloud-based disaster recovery capabilities for vSphere virtual environments. Built on VMware’s hypervisor-based replication engine, vSphere Replication, and integrated with vCloud Air, Disaster Recovery offers a cost-effective, simple, automated process for replication and recovering applications and data in a standby environment. Key features of the service include:
- Self-service disaster recovery protection for virtual machines
- Recovery point objectives (RPO) from 15 minutes to 24 hours
- Recovery time objectives (RTO) of 4 hours or less
- Automated failover testing, planned migrations, and recovery
- Flexible failover testing
Build a Foundation for Your Disaster Recovery
If you choose to build your own disaster recovery solution, VMware vSphere® provides the best foundation. With vSphere, you can reduce the cost of disaster recovery and simplify your disaster recovery plans. vSphere provides the following key capabilities to improve disaster recovery:
- Hybrid-cloud ready – vSphere comes with pre-built integration to disaster recovery services on vCloud Air. Remove the worry of cloud-based DR compatibility. Leverage VMware cloud-based services to extend or augment your DR plans.
- Consolidation – Hardware infrastructure can be consolidated at both the production and failover sites to reduce costs.
- Hardware independence – Virtual machines are completely independent from their underlying hardware. Organizations can use different, older or less expensive hardware at the failover site to reduce costs.
- Encapsulation – With vSphere, the entire system—including operating system, applications and data—is encapsulated as a set of virtual machine files. By replicating those files to the failover site, the entire system can be recovered in a fast single-step process, accelerating typical recovery times from an average of 40 hours down to an hour or less.
- vSphere Replication – vSphere Replication is the industry's first hypervisor-based replication engine, purpose-built for vSphere and Site Recovery Manager. vSphere Replication is simple to manage and supports flexible Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs) of 15 minutes to 24 hours, replicating only changes for efficient network utilization.
Simplify Disaster Recovery Management
VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager complements vSphere to ensure the simplest and most reliable disaster protection for all virtualized applications. vCenter Site Recovery Manager leverages cost-efficient vSphere Replication or storage-based replication to provide centralized management of recovery plans, enable non-disruptive testing, and automate site recovery and migration processes. vCenter Site Recovery Manager provides the following key capabilities:
- Centralized recovery plans – With vCenter Site Recovery Manager, setting up a centralized and automated recovery plan is simple and can be done in a matter of minutes through an interface that is tightly integrated with vCenter Server.
- Automated failover and site migrations – vCenter Site Recovery Manager automates the entire site recovery and migration process. Upon initiating a disaster failover, business services are automatically recovered with limited or no manual intervention.
- Non-disruptive testing – With vCenter Site Recovery Manager, failover testing can be performed as frequently as required and is non-disruptive to production systems. Organizations are able to quickly identify any problems with recovery plans to enable fast resolution.
- Broad choice of replication options to best align costs with business requirements – Use built-in vSphere Replication for affordable replication, or use storage-based replication for large, business-critical environments. vCenter Site Recovery Manager supports a broad range of storage-based replication products from VMware's storage partners.