VMware Fusion and Fusion Pro FAQs
The minimum system requirements for installing and using VMware Fusion 7 are:
- Any 64--bit capable Intel® Mac® (Compatible with Core 2 Duo, Xeon, i3, i5, i7 processors or better)
- Minimum 4GB of RAM
- 750MB free disk space for VMware Fusion and at least 5GB for each virtual machine
- Mac OS X 10.8.0 or later
- Operating system installation media (disk or disk image) for virtual machines.
- Microsoft Windows is not included with VMware Fusion.
- Recommended graphics hardware for Windows Aero support:
- NVIDIA 8600M or better
- ATI 2600 or better
What are the supported guest operating systems for VMware Fusion 7?
VMware Fusion 7 supports more than 200 operating systems from Windows XP through Windows 8, various flavors of Linux, and certain versions of Mac OS X.
Here is a list of popular supported guest operating systems:
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7 (all versions, including 32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows 8 (all versions)
- Ubuntu (most versions including 14.10, 14.04, 13.04, 12.04, 11.10 and 10.04)
- Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD
- Mac OS X Leopard Server
- Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server
- OS X Lion and OS X Lion Server
- OS X Mountain Lion and OS X Mountain Lion Server
- OS X Mavericks and OS X Mavericks Server
- OS X Yosemite and OS X Yosemite Server
To see a complete list of supported host and guest operating, click here: http://www.vmware.com/go/fusionoperatingsystems
I participated in the Technology Preview 2014 program, should I uninstall the Technology Preview software before installing the final release?
Yes, you should first uninstall the Technology Preview version using the included Uninstall VMware Fusion function before upgrading to the final released version.
Will I lose all the virtual machines I created with the Technology Preview version?
No. When you uninstall the Technology Preview version and install the final released version of VMware Fusion, the virtual machines created using the Technology Preview will remain intact.
How do I check which version of VMware Fusion I am running?
From the VMware Fusion menu, select About VMware Fusion, and the version and build number will be displayed in the "about" box.