VMware Academic Program
The VMware Academic Program (VMAP) is a comprehensive program designed specifically for the academic community. A nominal annual subscription fee of $250 enables qualifying academic users at VMAP member organizations worldwide to gain easy access to cutting-edge virtualization technology and resources.
Examples of Acceptable Use
- The free single use licenses provided through The VMware Academic Program may be used for instruction and non-commercial research only. Please refer to the definitions of instructional and research use below
- Lab licenses may only be installed in lab environments where the lab is primarily used for instructional and research purposes.
- Program software installed in shared lab environments can be used across different courses offered by different faculty members.
- Faculty members as well as staff directly involved in administering systems and providing support for program software may install the software on their personal computers
- Students taking qualified courses or conducting research can access program software within lab machines or download programs software on their personal computers. Students receiving licenses through a qualifying course or research project may use the licenses after the course or project is concluded.
- Multiple academic groups in an institution may join the Program if each group meets the eligibility requirements.
- The designated Program Administrator (PA) must be an employee of the department or group and is responsible for administering, managing, and enforcing the guidelines set by the EULA for the VMware Academic and Research Program (“Academic EULA”)
- Every copy of the software must be a true and complete copy and it must include all copyright and trademark notices. All software made available must include all of the files.
Examples of Unacceptable Use
- Students who are in an approved department but are not taking courses that lead to credit or a certificate or who are not involved in relevant research projects are not eligible to use the software.
- Students, faculty members, or other parties that received a license under the program but no longer attend or are employed by the institution.
- Staff members who are not directly involved with system administration related to the program, such as administrative assistants, may not install the software on their personal computers.
- Software that is part of the program may not be shared with non-approved departments. However, it may be installed on shared labs if the approved department's students regularly use that lab.
- The designated Program Administrator for the member approved may not be a teaching assistant or a student. However, teaching assistants or students may help the Program Administrator with the program.
- The software provided by VMAP may not be sold, rented, leased, or transferred to any third party including contractors, consultants, other companies, and other department personnel.
- Software cannot be used for infrastructure purposes. Licenses acquired through the VMware Academic Program are for instructional, research and personal use only.
- The software provided by VMAP may not be used for any purpose outside of instructional, research and personal use.
- vSphere licenses provided under this program may not be used for desktop virtualization.
Use of free VMware software for instruction and research is governed by the specific program guidelines and the conditions described within the Academic EULA and the use of software for infrastructure purposes is governed by the VMware EULA for each of the products.
Definitions of Instructional, Research and Infrastructure Use
- Instructional use is defined as conducting educational classes, labs, or related programs for teaching or learning concepts related to the products that are part of this program.
- Research use is defined as conducting not-for-profit research projects.
- Infrastructure use is defined as use of software as a part of the institution's or department's infrastructure that's not intended for specific classroom instruction or research project
IMPORTANT: These guidelines are provided for your convenience only. Please refer to the VMware Academic Program EULA for specific license rights.