Protect all your virtual machines and business-critical applications with VMware vSphere® Data Protection™ Advanced, a new backup and recovery solution powered by EMC Avamar. vSphere Data Protection Advanced delivers the most efficient deduplication engine, seamless integration with vSphere and application-specific agents to protect Microsoft Exchange and SQL Server.
Proven, efficient and simple backup and recovery
vSphere Data Protection Advanced is a backup and recovery solution powered by EMC Avamar designed for midsize vSphere environments. It provides the most proven, efficient and easy-to-use protection for virtual machines with added scalability and integration with business-critical applications.
- Variable-length: data is broken into segments of variable length, which enables the highest rates of deduplication – on average 99% for file systems and 96% for databases.
- Global: Deduplication is compared across all VMs backed up by the same VDP Advanced virtual appliance, reducing the required backup storage by up to 95%.
- Client-side: for guest-level backups, the agents deduplicate at the VM reducing the daily impact on the virtual network by up to 99% as compared to traditional full-backup methods.
VADP Integration: offloads the backup process from production VMs. Up to eight VMs per virtual appliance can be backed up simultaneously to increase backup throughput.
Changed Block Tracking Backup: leverages Changed Block Tracking in combination with variable-length deduplication, sending truly unique changed blocks to the VDP Advanced virtual appliance.
Changed Block Tracking Restore: only restores the delta of changed blocks between the current state of the VM and the last backup, reducing recovery times up to 30 times as compared to full VM recoveries.
vSphere Integration: fully integrated with vCenter Server and managed natively through the vSphere Web Client. VDP Advanced enables vSphere administrators to manage their entire virtual infrastructure, including backup and recovery, from a “single pane of glass."
Ease of Deployment: deployed as a virtual machine appliance with very little additional configuration required post-deployment.
Ease of Use: delivers simple and efficient wizard-driven creation of backup jobs with customized policies based on specified retentions and schedules set at the backup job level.
One-step Recovery: enables easy browsing to perform file-level recovery and full VM restores to the original VM or a new VM.
Self-service Recovery: facilitates self-service restore performed by end-users, such as application owners or guest OS administrators, offloading restore requests to the IT department.
Agents for Microsoft SQL and Exchange: provides application-specific agents to protect these business-critical applications. The lightweight agent installed inside the VM deduplicates data, moving only unique changed blocks to the VDP Advanced appliance. VDP Advanced achieves the highest levels of deduplication at the guest level.
Application Consistency: guest-level backup and recovery ensures application-consistent states crucial to guarantee reliable protection of business-critical applications
- Microsoft Exchange Server agent - provides recovery of individual databases with options to restore to special Exchange databases to perform granular recovery of mailboxes and messages.
- Microsoft SQL Server agent - enables recovery of the entire application, individual databases, or only logs.