vCenter Site Recovery Manager
Protect all of your virtualized applications with Site Recovery Manager™, a disaster recovery solution that provides automated orchestration and non-disruptive testing of centralized recovery plans
Legacy disaster recovery strategies that depend on manual procedures and complex runbooks to execute require highly specialized staff, big time investments and high coordination from several teams responsible for different layers of the data center infrastructure.
Site Recovery Manager, Virtual SAN and vSphere Replication shield users from having to manage many of the steps required for traditional recovery. Replication is configured at the virtual machine level. Storage requirements can be automatically provisioned and enforced through policies. Setting up a recovery plan can be done in a matter of minutes, instead of weeks. Ongoing disaster recovery provisioning to new virtual machines can be tenant-driven through predefined policies. Actual execution of testing, recovery and migration workflows is fully automated to eliminate operational complexity.
VM-centric policy-based storage and replication
- Replicate in flexible topologies – e.g. from traditional external storage to Virtual SAN storage – using vSphere Replication, VMware’s proprietary hypervisor-based replication technology – no more need for matching storage at source and target
- Provision and manage replication at the virtual machine level from the vSphere Web Client – no more replicating LUNs
- Define storage policies that will be applied at the destination Virtual SAN datastore in the case of recovery scenario while configuring replication
Centralized recovery plans
- Create and manage recovery plans directly from the next-generation user interface of the vSphere Web Client
- Pre-define the boot sequence of virtual machines for automated recovery
- Reconfigure IP addresses upon failover at the subnet or individual address level
Self-service, policy-based provisioning
- VMware vCenter Orchestrator plugin for Site Recovery Manager
- Tenant-driven provisioning of pre-defined DR policies via blueprints in vCloud Automation Center
Planned migration and disaster avoidance
- Graceful shut down of protected virtual machines at the original site
- Replication synchronization of protected virtual machines prior to migration to avoid data loss
- Restart of protected virtual machines in an application consistent state
- Re-protect virtual machines by reversing replication to the original site
- Automate the failback to the production site using original recovery plan
Test to Rest
Recovery plans documented in runbooks are usually incomplete and quickly fall out of sync with rapidly evolving deployments. Organizations are unable to perform routine testing and have little confidence that they will meet recovery time objectives (RTO) or even recover at all in the event of a disaster.
With Site Recovery Manager, recovery testing can be performed as frequently as required without disrupting production systems. Isolated testing with the ease of automation allows organizations to proactively identify problems. By eliminating the risk of untested recovery plans, users grasp control of their disaster recovery strategy with highly predictable RTOs and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Automate execution of recovery testing
- Use storage snapshot to perform recovery tests without interrupting replication
- Recover virtual machines into an isolated network to avoid any impact on production applications
- Customize the execution of recovery plans for testing scenarios
- Automate the cleanup of testing environments after completing tests.
- Store, view and export results of test and failover execution from vCenter Server.
No Apps Left Behind
App-specific availability solutions are expensive, difficult to scale and managed in silos. Replication software can create vendor lock-in and become a cost driver in the budget. Simply owning a secondary recovery site is prohibitive for many companies without that kind of capital.
VMware vSphere Replication fundamentally enables DR protection with robust replication delivered at no additional cost with the vSphere platform. Site Recovery Manager complements with management automation that is hardware and application-agnostic, extensible to any virtualized application. Support for a broad range of array-based replication products delivers additional flexibility. Single-site companies can leverage the hybrid cloud model through SRM-based DR to the Cloud services available through VMware Service Providers or VMware vCloud Hybrid Service – Disaster Recovery, a simple and secure replication and failover service into VMware’s Hybrid Cloud
Flexible, cost-effective Replication
- vSphere Replication is bundled with vSphere Essentials Plus and higher editions at no additional cost
- Use any type of storage, including direct-attached storage
- Customize the recovery point objective (RPO) between15 minutes and 24 hours
- Replicate only changed blocks to increase network efficiency
- Revert to earlier known states using multiple point-in-time (MPIT) recovery
DR automation for all virtualized applications
- Application-agnostic DR solution engineered to protect any virtual machine
- Protect up to 5,000 virtual machines per vCenter Server using array-based replication – five times larger than with previous limits
- Concurrently recover of up to 2,000 virtual machines per vCenter Server using array-based replication – two times the previous scalability
Support for Third-party array-based replication
- Leverage existing investments in storage arrays and replication products from all major vendors
- Use iSCSI, FibreChannel, or NFS-based storage replication solutions
- Tight integration with Site Recovery Manager through Storage Replication Adapters (SRA) Download the full list of compatible arrays.
Disaster Recovery to the Cloud Services based on Site Recovery Manager
- Fully managed services available through major VMware Service Providers
- All the automation benefits of Site Recovery Manager
- Support for vSphere Replication or array-based replication depending on the partner
VMware vCloud Hybrid Service - Disaster Recovery
- Warm standby capacity in VMware’s Hybrid Cloud
- Self-service protection, failover and failback workflows per virtual machine
- Simple and secure asynchronous replication based on vSphere Replication