Accelerate application deployment and simplify application migration with agentless application virtualization. With VMware ThinApp™, available in VMware® Horizon™ View, VMware® Horizon™ Mirage, and VMware® Horizon™ Workspace, applications are packaged into single executables that run completely isolated from each other and the operating system for conflict-free execution on end-point devices.
- Eliminate application conflicts, reducing the need for recoding & regression testing.
- Deliver reliable and flexible application access to all user profiles.
- Eliminate the need for additional server hardware or software investments.
VMware ThinApp simplifies application delivery by isolating applications from the underlying operating system and plugging directly into existing virtual and physical desktop management tools and infrastructure. VMware ThinApp encapsulates applications inside a Virtual OS that transparently merges a virtual system environment with the real system environment.
- Eliminate additional infrastructure investments in server hardware or software
- Deliver virtualized applications using existing management software delivery processes
Seamlessly integrated with VMware Horizon Workspace, applications packaged with VMware ThinApp can be easily managed and deployed to end users. Use VMware Horizon Application Manager to set policies, entitle users, and securely deliver applications via the cloud.
Seamless Virtual and Native Browser Experience
ThinDirect gives end users the flexibility to run IE 6 on Windows 7 desktops alongside natively installed newer browser versions. With ThinDirect administrators can configure Web pages for virtualized IE 6 and its dependencies to ensure that URLs always open in the right browser for a seamless end user experience.
Full Support for Windows 7
VMware ThinApp now supports Windows 7. You can now package legacy applications from older versions of Windows such as Windows XP and Windows Vista into VMware ThinApp packages for deployment on Windows 7. Avoid costly recoding and regression testing and accelerate deployment of business applications to Windows 7 more quickly and securely.
If you’ve used previous versions of VMware ThinApp to create application packages, these existing packages can be upgraded to the new VMware ThinApp format (versions 4.5 and above) without the need of associated project files for the applications. This utility speeds up the process of upgrading your existing VMware ThinApp packages.
Reduced page file usage for virtual applications and increased memory sharing between multiple instances of applications allows for quicker application invocation and improved application delivery to end users. This helps to improve user experience with VMware ThinApp, and at the same time reduces network bandwidth consumption.
Registry Transaction Protection
Ensure the integrity of the registry file and eliminate potential data corruption due to crash or system failure by mapping to a backup registry file.
Enhanced Packaging Support Ecosystem
Customers can now elect to share application packaging results with VMware at the beginning of capture or contribute application packaging tips and recipes with a network of community users. By building out this ecosystem of support for users, we will have a better understanding of product usage to provide better product support.
Capabilities in Depth
Agentless Application Virtualization:
- Support for Internet Explorer 6 (IE 6). Capture IE 6 on Windows XP with easy click-through packaging, full rendering to display IE 6 application web pages, the ability to run virtualized IE 6 and natively installed IE 7 and IE 8 seamlessly in the same desktop, compatibility for all system shell commands, and 32-bit and 64-bit support.
- Zero client code foot print. Eliminate cumbersome management and updates of client code. Zero client foot print also allows for applications to be packaged and execute from ancillary mobile storage devices such as USB drives delivering much more flexibility and mobility to end users.
- Application isolation. Isolated applications run in a virtual bubble in restricted user accounts without requiring any host modification. Deploy Office 97, 2003, 2007, Internet Explorer and .NET applications or custom applications on the same OS without conflict as the applications run independent of one another.
- Zero-runtime execution. With no installed agent, no footprint is left on the endpoint device. Applications run directly from the compressed state without first caching data to the hard disk, achieving better performance and security of data.
- 100% User Mode execution. Client runs on locked-down, unmanaged “kiosk” PCs without Admin rights to execute applications, enabling it to be used on managed and unmanaged PC.
- Block-by-block network streaming. Applications virtualized execute once the minimum amount of code required to run the application is available in the desktop’s memory. For example, less than 10% of Microsoft Office needs to be physically streamed to the client in order for it to run. LAN streaming has an average start-up time of just a few seconds.
- Sandbox environments for terminal services. Provide sandboxing for applications running in a terminal services environment so that multiple users can run their own sandboxed application without affecting each other. If one instance of the application tries to make system-wide changes, other users running the same applications are not affected.
- 64-bit operating system support. Enables applications to be virtualized and run on 64-bit systems.
- Execution on thin clients. Tested and certified to run virtualized applications on Windows XP-based thin clients.
- Compatibility with a broad range of applications. Proven deployments on simple-to-complex applications ranging from basic Microsoft Office to custom applications with Java or .NET.
Conflict-free Application Delivery:
- Active Directory integration. VMware ThinApp does not require any distribution, streaming, or activation servers or agents. It works with AD, ESD enforcement tools, and open protocols so no additional hardware, software licenses and ongoing maintenance costs for backend infrastructure is required.
- Execution from USB key with portable profiles/user settings. Enable a user to run critical applications from a USB key while maintaining corporate security requirements.
- Integration with Horizon View, Horizon Mirage, and Horizon Workspace and other 3rd-party application management solutions. Creates .MSI and/or .EXE file that plugs into existing electronic software delivery systems (Inventory, Configuration Management Database, Definitive Software Library, Packagers) without additional integrations required. Easily use other VMware products to deploy and manage applications.
- Assign VMware ThinApp packages to individual desktops or groups of desktops for streamlined application deployments to virtual desktops when deployed with Horizon View.
- Application Sync. Enables application updates for mobile users as well as third parties on the corporate extranet, ensuring availability of the latest version of the application, reducing patch risks to machines that are taken off the network. Update virtual applications via http/https over the LAN or WAN leveraging existing software delivery systems.
Simplified Application Packaging:
- Automate the management of the lifecycle of application packaging. The ThinApp Converter provides a command line interface to convert silently-installed applications into ThinApp packages. Using interfaces with ESX, vSphere and Workstation you can automate the setup capture process to convert MSI application packages into ThinApp packages.
- Application Link. Allows packaged applications to dynamically establish dependencies ("links") with other packaged applications. Administers create separate packages of interdependent components such as Java or .NET runtimes and the applications that rely on them. Each component is delivered independently while sharing resources across multiple ThinApp packages.
- Package it once, deliver to many. Execute a virtualized application on a variety of Microsoft Windows desktop operating system without retesting or repackaging the application for each operating system.
- System snapshots. Provides administrators with a rapid three-step process for pre- and post-install system states for packaging simplicity and for supporting applications that require a reboot during the installation process.
- ISV embeddable. Organizations can deliver their custom application throughout their extranet using VMware ThinApp application virtualization technology.