Your desktop just got better, more personal, and easier to manage with VMware® Mirage™- the only unified image management solution for physical, virtual, and BYOD.
With layered images of each PC, Mirage makes it easy to deliver, manage, and protect operating systems and applications in a cost-effective manner.
- Dynamic Layering for Endpoint and Application Management – Complement and extend PC lifecycle management tools. Manage your desktop image as a set of logical layers owned by either IT or the end user. Update IT-managed layers while maintaining end-user files and personalization. Easily deploy applications to any collection of end users with app layering technology. Quickly restore the system layers to fix any issues without overwriting user layers. And easily migrate users from an old PC to a new one without losing data, profiles or user-installed applications.
- Unified Image Management for physical, BYO and Horizon Virtual Desktops – Manage images on physical, BYO or Horizon full clone persistent virtual desktops at scale with Mirage. User-installed applications and data stay in tact during image updates.
- Automated Backup and Full System Recovery – Ensure desktop recovery with full PC snapshots and synchronizations any time there's a change in the data center. Minimize end-user downtime when an end user's PC has been lost, stolen or damaged and quickly restore the end-user system to a new device. Support is available for all flavors of Windows desktop operating systems, including Windows 8 and 8.1.
- Designed for Distributed Environments – Support branch office deployments with minimal infrastructure. Turn any Mirage client endpoint into a Branch Reflector to optimize branch office management and allow end users to easily download updates. Designed for distributed WAN environments, Mirage has optimized storage and networking protocols to help improve performance while driving down costs.
Mirage delivers an optimized and adaptive experience, ensuring that IT backups and synchronizations never interfere with end-user productivity.
- Optimized and adaptive experience – The Mirage client monitors resources being used on an end user’s desktop to ensure that the backup and synchronization processes never interfere with productivity.
- Personalized performance – Allow end users to leverage the local resources on their desktops and laptops while maintaining offline productivity. Natively install Mirage-managed images onto Windows PCs or as virtual desktops on Mac or Linux machines with VMware Fusion Pro. Ensure easy access for end users without the need to connect back to a company’s environment through a VPN with a Mirage Gateway.
- Self-service file access and recovery – Ensure end users can take advantage of "follow-me file access" allowing end users to access any file from any web browser on any device. End users can also restore any file or any directory on their own with just a few clicks.
Simplified OS Migrations, Including Windows 7 and 8.1
Mirage can drastically reduce the time needed to migrate to Windows 7 or 8.1. With Mirage, a 5,000-person organization migrating to Windows 7 or 8.1 could save $600,000 in IT time and more than $1 million in user productivity.
- Accelerated Windows 7 and 8.1 migrations – A manual Windows 7 or 8.1 migration can often take between four and six hours per PC. Using a data and settings migration tool can cut the time down to two to three hours per PC and allow concurrent migration of multiple machines. However, the process still consumes IT resources and removes the user from their PC. With Mirage, a single technician can concurrently handle 100 or more migrations per day from the central management console.
- Choose your migration approach – Mirage offers options to fit the most common approaches to Windows 7 and 8.1 migrations including automated in-place Windows OS migrations, user persona and files migrations, and hardware to hardware migrations.
- Automated backups – Before the migration, Mirage takes a snapshot of the entire Windows XP or 7 system, so the system can quickly be restored to the end-user in the event that anything goes wrong.
- Automated, in-place Windows 7 migration with Sophos 5.5 endpoint encryption – IT does not need to decrypt and re-encrypt the endpoint.
- Extensive support – Mirage offers OS migration support for Windows 7 and 8.1.