Many organizations today do not have adequate disaster recovery (DR) protection for their applications. In most cases, disaster recovery is perceived as too expensive, complex and unreliable for any but the most mission-critical applications.
Disaster recovery is a form of insurance to protect your IT assets when a disaster strikes. And just like good insurance, the best disaster recovery should provide great protection, with minimum hassle, at the lowest possible cost. VMware provides the most reliable, cost-effective, and simple disaster protection for all virtualized applications.
Using VMware, organizations can effectively meet core requirements for disaster recovery:
- Rapid recovery with automation
- Reliable recovery, non-disruptive testing automation and simplified testing of recovery plans
- Affordable recovery without requiring a duplicate, idle datacenter
Build a Foundation for Your Disaster Recovery
VMware vSphere provides the best foundation for building disaster recovery solutions. With vSphere, you can reduce the cost of disaster recovery and simplify your disaster recovery plans. vSphere provides the following key capabilities to improve disaster recovery:
- Consolidation: Hardware infrastructure can be consolidated at both the production and failover sites to reduce costs. The recovery hardware can also be used to run low-priority workloads including test and development environments.
- Hardware independence: Virtual machines are completely independent from their underlying hardware. Organizations can use older or less expensive hardware at the failover site to reduce costs.
- Encapsulation: On vSphere, the entire system—including OS, application, and data—is encapsulated as a set of virtual machine files. By replicating those files to the failover site, the entire system can be recovered in a fast single-step process, accelerating typical recovery times from an average of 40 hours down to an hour or less.
- vSphere Replication: vSphere Replication is the industry's first hypervisor-based replication, purpose-built for vSphere and Site Recovery Manager. vSphere Replication is simple to manage and supports flexible Recovery Point Objectives of 15 minutes to 24 hours, replicating only changes for efficient network utilization.
Centralize Management and Automate Recovery
VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager complements vSphere to ensure the simplest and most reliable disaster protection for all virtualized applications. vCenter Site Recovery Manager leverages cost-efficient vSphere Replication or storage-based replication to provide centralized management of recovery plans, enable non-disruptive testing, and automate site recovery and migration processes. vCenter Site Recovery Manager provides the following key capabilities:
- Centralized recovery plans: With vCenter Site Recovery Manager, setting up a centralized and automated recovery plan is simple and can be done in a matter of minutes through an interface that is tightly integrated with vCenter Server.
- Automated failover and site migrations: vCenter Site Recovery Manager automates the entire site recovery and migration process. Upon initiating a disaster failover, business services are automatically recovered with limited or no manual intervention.
- Non-disruptive testing: With vCenter Site Recovery Manager, failover testing can be performed as frequently as required and is non-disruptive to production systems. Organizations are able to quickly identify any problems with recovery plans to enable fast resolution.
- Broad choice of replication options to best align costs with business requirements Use built-in vSphere Replication for affordable replication, and storage replication for large, business-critical environments. vCenter Site Recovery Manager supports a broad range of storage-based replication products from VMware's storage partners.
- Transform Your Disaster Recovery
- Hosting.com & VMware Deliver Disaster Recovery For All White Paper
- Customer Case Study: Palo Alto Medication Foundation
- A Guide to Modern Disaster Recovery
- Disaster Recovery for SMBs Podcast
- Disaster Recovery in the Datacenter Podcast
- Customer Success Stories Archive
- On-Demand Podcasts on Business Continuity