VMware ESX Server 2.5.5 Upgrade Patch 6 (for 2.5.5 Systems Only)
This document contains the following information:
Please refer to KB 1107 for VMware product security alerts. This patch includes:
- Service console updates for the libxml2 package to address the denial of service flaw.
Thanks to the Google security team for identifying and reporting this issue.
The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CVE-2007-6284 to this issue.
This patch addresses the following issue:
- Fixes the queue stop issue that resulted in network loss when Broadcom NICs are used with ESX Server hosts. With this fix, the queue on a Broadcom NIC remains running and the network traffic to virtual machines is not stopped.
This patch is an ESX Server 2.5.5 patch. Ensure that ESX Server 2.5.5 build 57619 or higher is installed before applying the patch. Run vmware -v to display the version and build information for your system.
Installing the Update
Note: VMware recommends backing up your ESX Server installation before installing this patch. Also, a minimum of 350MB of temporary free space on the "/" file system is required for installing this patch.
This update requires you to boot your server into Linux mode to perform the upgrade. When you are prompted to reboot at the end of the upgrade, the installer will restart your system to run ESX Server.
- Power off all virtual machines.
- Restart your system.
- At the LILO Boot Menu, select the option appropriate for your system.
- For a boot-from-SAN installation, select esx-san-safe.
- For all other installations, select linux-up.
- Log in as root to the ESX Server service console.
- Download the tar file into a temporary directory under /root on your ESX Server service console.
- Change your working directory to that directory.
- Verify the integrity of the package:
# md5sum esx-2.5.5-78667-upgrade.tar.gz
The md5 checksum output should match the following:
- Extract the compressed tar archive:
# tar -xvzf esx-2.5.5-78667-upgrade.tar.gz
- Change to the newly created directory:
# cd esx-2.5.5-78667-upgrade
- Run the installer:
- The system updates have now been installed. A reboot prompt is displayed:
Reboot the server now [y/n]?
This update will not be complete until you reboot the ESX Server host.
If you enter n to indicate that you will not reboot the server at this time,
ESX Server displays the warning message: Please reboot the server manually. Your virtual machines
will not run properly until this is done. If you see this message, you must manually reboot the server
to complete the upgrade.
- At the reboot prompt, enter y to reboot the server.