VMware Horizon View Client for Android Release Notes
Horizon View Client for Android 2.2 | 14 November 2013
Last Updated: 18 November 2013
These release notes cover the following topics:
VMware Horizon View Client for Android makes it easy to access your Windows virtual desktop from your Android tablet or phone with the best possible user
experience on the Local Area Network (LAN) or across a Wide Area Network (WAN).
- Work the way you want to - Use your Android tablet or phone to work on your Windows-based Horizon View virtual desktop from any location.
Support for the PCoIP display protocol from VMware means your desktop is fast and responsive regardless of where you are.
- Best of both worlds - For the mobile device world, Horizon View Client supports native Android gestures for quick and easy navigation around your desktop.
For the Windows world, the full screen touchpad feature lets you touch anywhere on the screen to move the mouse pointer around the Windows virtual desktop.
Bridging both worlds, the Unity Touch sidebar makes it easy to browse, search, open, and close Windows applications and files, minimize windows, and switch between running applications,
all without using the Windows Start menu or Taskbar.
- Simple connectivity - Horizon View Client for Android is tightly integrated with VMware Horizon View for simple setup and connectivity.
Quickly reconnect to your desktop by selecting from the recent desktop list.
- Unmatched performance - The adaptive capabilities of the PCoIP display protocol mean your virtual desktop is fast and responsive regardless of
whether you are connecting over your corporate WiFi network or from your 3G, 4G, or LTE connected Android tablet or phone.
- Secure from any location - At your desk or away from the office, your data is always secure.
And with RSA soft token integration, you need enter only your RSA PIN into Horizon View Client when RSA
authentication is required. No need for an RSA hardware token or RSA software token utility.
Horizon View Client also supports RADIUS authentication with VMware View 5.1 and View Client for Android 1.5 or later.
Top of Page
What's New in This Release
This release of VMware Horizon View Client for Android includes the following new features:
- Log collection - End users can now configure View Client to collect log information and send log files to VMware for troubleshooting. They can also manually retrieve and send log files at any time.
- Mirror mode - End users can now turn off the Presentation Mode setting and mirror the entire View Client display, including the Unity Touch sidebar, on a projector or attached monitor.
- Support for VMware Horizon View 5.3 features - Includes support for Windows 8.1 desktops and Windows Server 2008 R2 desktops. For more information, see the VMware Horizon View 5.3 Release Notes and see KB 2057605: Using Windows Server 2008 R2 as a desktop operating system in VMware Horizon View.
Top of Page
For Horizon View Client for Android, both the user interface and the documentation are available in English, Japanese, French, German, Simplified Chinese,
Traditional Chinese, and Korean.
Top of Page
Before You Begin
- VMware Horizon View Client for Android requires the Android 3 (Honeycomb) or later operating system.
- NOTE: The latest version of the VMware View Client for Cisco Cius tablet is View Client 1.5 and is available in CiscoHQ.
- VMware Horizon View Client for Android is supported with the latest maintenance release of VMware View 4.6.x and later releases.
- When you install Horizon View Client for Android, you will be prompted to let the app read phone status and identity. This prompt relates to the new RSA soft token
integration feature. The prompt is requesting permission to read the state of the phone. This permission does not allow the app to make a phone call or send a
message. You can safely grant this permission.
- Install and upgrade View Client for Android just as you do any other Android app. For example, you can get the latest version of the app from
Google Play or the Amazon Appstore for Android. For a link to the Horizon View Client app in one of these stores, go to the
Horizon View Client Downloads page.
- For system requirements and installation instructions, see
Using VMware Horizon View Client for Android.
Top of Page
The following issue was fixed in this release of Horizon View Client for Android:
On Android 3 and 4.1.x devices, if you had an active connection to a View desktop and then had View Client run in the background while you paired a Blue Tooth keyboard to the tablet, the connection
to the View desktop was lost. This issue has been resolved.
Top of Page
Do not use an external mouse, such as a Bluetooth mouse, when using the presentation mode feature. Instead, use the large onscreen touchpad on the Android device.
If you attempt to use a mouse, the mouse pointer might not be able to move to the bottom or right side of the screen, and when moved to the top of the screen, might conflict with
some of the function keys shown on the large onscreen touchpad, rather than the top of the View desktop.
The Unity Touch sidebar cannot show changes in the All Programs menu for new software that you install during that same session.
Workaround: In order to see items for new software that you just installed, disconnect from the desktop and then connect again.
If you use the Unity Touch sidebar to start a Windows 8 Desktop-mode application, such as Microsoft Word, while the Windows 8 Start screen (Metro mode) is displayed,
the application is launched in the background. In this example, you cannot see the Microsoft Word application until you switch to the traditional Desktop mode.
If your phone or tablet uses a resolution lower than 1024x768 and you want to use a Windows 8 View desktop, you must use Desktop mode for the Windows 8 View desktop.
Using the tiles on the Start screen requires a screen resolution of 1024x768 or higher.
VMware View 1.6 and later mobile clients working with VMware View 5.1 servers allow you touch directly into text fields of Windows applications and automatically pop-up the
keyboard. However, this feature does not work with the following applications: Firefox, Google Chrome, Adobe Reader, and Adobe Flash content in a browser.
The Shift key in the top row of the onscreen keyboard or in the navigation keys is for entering key combinations, such as Ctrl+Shift. If you need to capitalize
a letter or type an exclamation point (!) or question mark (?) or other symbol that you create by using the Shift key, use the up arrow as you would in the standard
Only English external keyboards are supported.
Workaround: To input non-English characters, use the onscreen keyboard.
Because VMware Horizon View Client is available in Korean, whereas View Connection Server 4.6.x is not, if you use Horizon View Client on a Korean system, you will find that messages
that originate from Horizon View Client are available in Korean, but messages that originate from View Connection Server 4.6.x appear in English.
If you have a Windows XP guest operating system in a View 4.6 desktop (agent) and that desktop is set to a time zone that is
different from the time zone on your tablet (client), then if you go to the Date and Time Properties dialog box in the View desktop's Control Panel, you see that the time zone
shown on the Date and Time tab corresponds to the time zone of the tablet, but the time zone shown on the Time Zone tab corresponds to the time zone of the
View desktop. This issue is resolved if you use View Connection Server 5.0 and later.
- On Android 2.x and 3.x devices, you cannot use 7-Zip to open the ZIP file that the View Client log collection feature generates. This problem is caused by a known Google Android 2.x/3.x builtin compression limitation.
Workaround: Use AndroZip to open the ZIP file.
Top of Page