IT Solutions for Transforming Government
Transform Federal IT with Virtualization
Since 1998, VMware has worked with U.S. Federal and Department of Defense organizations to become the leading provider of virtualization and cloud infrastructure to the federal government, serving all U.S. cabinet agencies, military services and commands, plus the legislative and judicial branches. VMware meets the needs of a modern government while reducing costs and increasing resource utilization.
- FDCCI and consolidation – Meet the requirements of the Federal Data Center Consolidation Initiative (FDDCI) with virtualization.
- Cloud computing – Build an efficient, agile, elastic pool of on-demand resources.
- Desktop and application virtualization – Deliver and manage desktops as a service. Offer remote access without compromising security.
- Real-time situational awareness – Break past the limits of traditional databases for scalable, real-time awareness.
Meeting Consolidation Requirements
According to the Federal Data Center Consolidation Initiative (FDCCI), 40% of identified data centers in government agencies should be consolidated by the end of 2015. More federal IT infrastructure is consolidated on VMware than any other platform. VMware virtualization has enabled our federal customers to achieve physical to virtual server consolidation ratios from 2:1 to 12:1 and much higher, reduce associated costs and make their data center infrastructure cloud-ready.
- Respond to changing events and programs faster and more efficiently than ever before.
- Delivers resources, applications—even servers—when and where they're needed.
- Save 50 to 70 percent on overall IT costs by consolidating resource pools and delivering highly available machines with vSphere with Operations Management.
Start the Journey to Cloud Computing
Cloud computing is changing the way federal agencies deliver and consume IT services. Put server, storage, compute, and networking resources on a virtualized platform and create an efficient agile and elastic pool of on-demand resources that make up a cloud. When ready, VMware vCloud Air or VMware vCloud Government Service, based on the same award winning vSphere platform enables agencies to extend those resources to realize the best of all that cloud computing has to offer, whether private, public or both.
VMware vCloud Government Service provided by Carpathia is a FedRAMP compliant infrastructure-as-a-service hybrid cloud that gives IT a common platform to extend their data center and seamlessly run new and existing applications in the cloud.
Power Federal Employee Productivity
Deliver and manage desktops as a cloud-based service with Horizon (with View), empowering teleworkers and field-based, office-based, and remote or contractor personnel to be productive from a variety of devices, including government-furnished PCs or laptops, personal computers, thin clients and tablet computers. Telework and COOP planning are just two examples of how VMware end-user computing solutions can be used to:
- Provide personnel with immediate and flexible access to applications and data anytime, anywhere.
- Reduce the cost and complexity of desktop management.
- Give IT organizations the control they need to ensure agency security and compliance.
Secure Mission-Critical Operations
While the same fundamentals of IT security apply in virtual and physical environments, virtualization offers some key additional benefits for securing IT infrastructure, such as reducing the attack profile, easier isolation of contaminated infrastructure, and enhanced stability and availability. VMware has made strategic investments to earn Common Criteria/EAL 4+ Certification, as well as drafted several DISA STIGs and earned FIPS validation for various solutions.
Additionally, in order to provide end-to-end security and privacy for cloud sensitive workloads, VMware builds cloud services in accordance with mandates and security best practices meeting the following standards and certifications.
Hybrid Service Certifications
- ISO 27001:2005
- SOC 1 Type 2(SSAE 16)
SOC 2 Type 1
SOC 2 Type 2
- HIPAA and HITECH Security Rule
Government Service Certifications
- FedRAMP Provisional Authority to Operate
- Supports US International Tarffice in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
- Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-2
- Federal Information Security Management Act