Virtualize for Efficiency, Higher Availability, and Lower Costs
Virtualization is the single most effective way to reduce IT expenses while boosting efficiency and agility—not just for large enterprises, but for small and midsize businesses too. VMware virtualization lets you:
- Run multiple operating systems and applications on a single computer
- Consolidate hardware to get vastly higher productivity from fewer servers
- Save 50% or more on overall IT costs
- Speed and simplify IT management, maintenance, and the deployment of new applications
How Virtualization Works
The heart of virtualization is the “virtual machine” (VM), a tightly isolated software container with an operating system and application inside. Because each VM is completely separate and independent, many of them can run simultaneously on a single computer. A thin layer of software called a hypervisor decouples the VMs from the host, and dynamically allocates computing resources to each VM as needed.
This architecture redefines your computing equation, to deliver:
- Many applications on each server. As each VM encapsulates an entire machine, many applications and operating systems can be run on one host at the same time.
- Maximum server utilization, minimum server count. Every physical machine is used to its full capacity, allowing you to significantly reduce costs by deploying fewer servers overall.
- Faster, easier application and resources provisioning. As self-contained software files, VMs can be manipulated with copy-and-paste ease. This brings unprecedented simplicity, speed, and flexibility to IT provisioning and management. VMs can even be transferred from one physical server to another while running, via a process known as live migration. You can also virtualize business-critical apps to improve performance, reliability, scalability, and reduce costs.
Levels of Virtualization
Virtualizing one or two servers is just the beginning. The next step is to aggregate a server cluster into a single consolidated resource. For example, instead of 20 servers running at 15% of capacity each, you can reduce your hardware count—and associated costs—to 4 servers, each performing at 80%.
Learn more about server consolidation
VMware enables you to deliver secure virtual desktops as a managed service for remote and branch office employees. Our virtual desktop solutions increase business flexibility, simplify management, and reduce your costs.
Learn more about desktop virtualization
VMware offers an automated, easy-to-deploy solution that virtualizes storage—combining your existing server disks into a shared pool, without the cost and complexity of purchasing a SAN system.
Learn more about the vSphere Storage Appliance
Ultimately, you can attain the full efficiency and agility of cloud computing by virtualizing, pooling, and automating all datacenter resources—servers, storage, networking, security and availability—and tying everything together with policy-based provisioning and automated operations management. The result is a software-defined datacenter where:
- Capacity expands and contracts as needed
- Applications can be provisioned on-demand
- Every application is assured of the right levels of performance, compliance, and security
- IT can shift resources and budget away from infrastructure management and maintenance, toward creating innovations that give your company an edge
VMware’s vCloud Suite is a complete solution that delivers everything you need to build a software-defined datacenter.
Learn more about vCloud Suite
If you’re ready to begin virtualizing now—at whatever level is right for you— learn how to get started.