VMware’s cloud strategy is to enable our customers to run, manage, connect, and secure their entire application portfolio on any cloud to any device.
We call this strategy VMware Cloud™. Behind that simple name lies a powerful and innovative set of cloud solutions that deliver
- Flexible and highly compatible private and public cloud infrastructure.
- The ability to move applications to the cloud and between compatible clouds unchanged.
- A common approach to operations and application management for all clouds, public and private.
- A way for developers to leverage powerful third-party services.
- Trusted, enterprise-proven environments for making new applications production-ready quickly.
By providing a fast, safe path to the cloud—and an extremely flexible way to run existing and new applications in production—VMware enables organizations to get the most out of their application portfolios.
Choosing the Right Cloud for Every Application
Applications are the lifeblood of any business. They support how a company operates, generates revenue, gains value from its employees, and builds relationships with its customers. A top priority for any CIO is deciding the best way to manage that application portfolio. The rise of cloud and mobile technologies makes this task simultaneously more urgent and more complex.
CIOs want to invest in new cloud and mobile applications that differentiate and grow the business. At the same time, it’s essential to get the maximum benefit from existing applications. This means running them efficiently and reliably—and at the lowest cost possible—while also enhancing them appropriately over their lifecycle.
How does a business evolve its application portfolio, keeping it relevant? What are the options for maintaining, adapting, evolving, or replacing those applications?
The spectrum of options that CIOs must consider include
- Maintaining the application unchanged in a highly virtualized environment, private cloud, or compatible public cloud. This approach is most suitable for applications that are highly complex, are key to critical business services, or require significant cost and effort to refactor or rewrite.
- Refactor the application for the cloud, taking advantage of the cloud’s modern architecture, container environments, microservices, and cloud services. This can be done on-premises or through preferred public cloud providers.
- Rewrite the application for the cloud to deliver next-generation capabilities while reducing time to market. These new applications are developed specifically to take advantage of cloud architectures.
- Deploy software-as-a-service (SaaS) applications, replacing traditional applications while supporting enterprise requirements for security, compliance, and governance. SaaS applications must be managed and securely delivered to a distributed workforce that uses a broad range of devices.
A Flexible, App-Centric Cloud Strategy
To optimize delivery for all applications in the portfolio, CIOs must take a multidimensional view that extends beyond the application itself to encompass the underlying infrastructure. This is why CIOs are transforming their data centers into private clouds using software-defined architectures and hyper-converged infrastructure. They’re also looking for ways to integrate public clouds into their operations while supporting the development of next-generation applications and the delivery of SaaS.
To achieve the IT outcomes that will support their companies’ business priorities, technology leaders need a cloud strategy that will give them
- The flexibility to develop in any environment, using their preferred tools, services, and building blocks to create a portfolio of next-generation applications that speed time to market and differentiate the business.
- The flexibility to deploy to any cloud, providing the underlying infrastructure that each application requires, as application requirements continue to escalate.
- The ability to deliver to any device while maintaining security and governance, as users access applications from increasingly diverse platforms.
Supporting this level of flexibility, however, brings complexity and risk. Inconsistent security models, heterogeneous user policies, and diverse management tools and models all mean more for IT to manage and master. At best, this can erode efficiency while introducing unexpected costs. At worst, the security of intellectual property and sensitive customer information could be threatened.
To deliver IT agility without being overwhelmed by complexity and risk, enterprises need consistent operations across all of their clouds so they can deliver
- Visibility, with insights into where applications are deployed and how these resources are being utilized.
- Operations that ensure the health of applications in production.
- Automation, using intelligent systems to manage the provisioning, capacity, performance, and availability of infrastructure and application environments for increased IT agility.
- Security, with consistent security models and policies for the infrastructure, the application, and the device.
- Governance, including clear policies for how resources can be used and by whom, based on cost and compliance.
Supporting Your Entire Application Portfolio
VMware Cloud enables the fast, safe transformation of application portfolios for a cloud and mobile world. That’s because VMware Cloud solutions enable consistent infrastructure and consistent operations across clouds, so you can manage, secure, and connect your entire application portfolio on any cloud to any device.
To learn more, visit cloud.vmware.com.