Building innovative, modern apps and modernising existing software are key imperatives for organisations today. Modern apps are essential for deepening user engagement, boosting employee productivity, offering new services and gaining new data-driven insights. But to maximise the impact of modern apps, organisations need to deliver them rapidly—fast enough to keep up with swiftly changing user expectations and emerging marketplace opportunities.
VMware is dedicated to accelerating the pace of innovation and helping organisations realise the full potential of modern apps. The VMware Tanzu portfolio empowers developers to rapidly build modern apps across a multi-cloud landscape while simplifying operations.
The three initial VMware Tanzu offerings enable organisations to establish a consistent Kubernetes foundation across environments, tap into a wealth of open-source software and eliminate operational complexity.
- VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid provides a consistent, enterprise-ready Kubernetes distribution for any data centre, cloud or edge environment. Organisations can run their modern apps in the optimal environment now and shift applications among environments if and when their needs change.
- VMware Tanzu Application Catalog is a curated, customisable catalogue from the Bitnami collection that allows developers to draw from production-ready open-source software. The catalogue is continuously maintained, tested and verified for use in production environments. Developers can rapidly integrate new code into their projects to accelerate application delivery.
- VMware Tanzu Mission Control offers a single environment to manage modern apps across multiple clouds, teams and clusters. IT operations teams can establish policies for individual clusters or groups of clusters. Developers can then work freely within those boundaries.
Realising success with VMware Tanzu
How can VMware Tanzu help organisations achieve their strategic goals?
- Accelerating modern app delivery increases business agility. By giving developers the tools and resources they need to capitalise on critical app-modernisation technologies such as Kubernetes, VMware Tanzu can help developers deliver modern apps faster. Organisations can use that speed to better address quickly evolving business requirements and changing priorities.
- Running Kubernetes everywhere improves decision-making flexibility. VMware Tanzu prepares organisations’ multi-cloud environments for modern apps. Organisations can run Kubernetes in their data centres, in public clouds and at the edge—wherever it makes the most sense. This flexibility helps organisations better align application and cloud decisions with both technical and operational requirements.
- Simplifying management helps ensure security, reliability and efficiency. Delivering modern apps across multiple environments should not mean adding complexity to operations. VMware Tanzu enables organisations to centrally manage, govern and better secure all Kubernetes clusters, no matter where they reside. As a result, operations teams can meet expectations for application security and reliability while controlling costs.
- Empowering both development and IT operations teams refocuses everyone on shared goals. VMware Tanzu helps alleviate the tension between the goals of rapid development and stable operations. It transforms the DevOps relationship by giving operations teams what they need to support fast release cycles.
Driving innovation by providing deep resources
VMware Tanzu is an essential component of the growing VMware App Modernisation portfolio, which provides organisations the tools they need for building new apps and modernising their existing software. Alongside VMware Tanzu, VMware Cloud Foundation 4 with the rearchitected VMware vSphere 7 delivers an optimal environment for any app in the data centre, in the cloud and at the edge. Using these tools, organisations can rapidly—and continuously—deliver the modern apps that are vital for achieving their strategic goals. ▪