Mitigating the Carbon Footprint
VMware is mitigating the carbon emissions* associated with VMware Explore 2023 attendee participation by investing in nature-based solutions that sequester carbon. More specifically, VMware supports the Three Rivers Grasslands Restoration project, which removes carbon from the atmosphere by restoring degraded grasslands. We aspire to host a carbon neutral event and our 2023 Explore series demonstrates progress towards this goal.
Our selected venue, The Venetian Las Vegas, has several sustainability initiatives in place:
- The Venetian partners with local groups to minimize food waste, such as donating waste to local farms.
- Compostable cutlery and cups are used throughout the venue.
- All trash is sorted through for composting and recycling.
- The meeting space was the first in the world to achieve APEX/ASTM advanced (Level 2) Green Venue certification.
- 100 percent of suite lighting leverages the latest LED technology.
- One of the largest rooftop solar-thermal systems in the United States runs here. It provides hot water for all swimming pools, spas, and a portion of the Palazzo tower.
- The Venetian has one of the highest recycling rates in Nevada.
- A nano-water filtration system allows the Palazzo to stay off the water grid for all horticulture needs.
*The carbon footprint of VMware Explore 2023 attendee participation includes event production (build materials, shipping and disposal), venue electricity, attendee catering, and hotel accommodations, and excludes attendee and event crew travel to/from the event. This calculation is based on historical and current data, as well as industry-accepted averages.