Frequently Asked Questions
vSAN benefits include:
- Seamless evolution: vSAN is integrated with vSphere, extending virtualization to storage with the same tools and skillsets.
- Industry-leading flexibility: Run HCI on certified solutions from 18 OEM server vendors and use native services with leading public clouds.
- Multi-cloud capabilities: Get consistent operations from edge to core to cloud, with intrinsic security throughout.
- Centralized apps: Manage traditional and modern apps on the same platform.
vSAN is integrated with the VMware vSphere Hypervisor: unlike other solutions, there’s no need to install additional software or deploy storage controller virtual appliances to every host in the cluster. To configure and manage a vSAN cluster, only vCenter Server is required.
Yes, vSphere can access and use traditional datastores with vSAN and vSphere Virtual Volumes. In most cases, vSphere Storage vMotion can be used to migrate VMs between these datastore types. This makes it easy to migrate existing workloads when performing maintenance or retiring a storage solution.
You can increase storage capacity in a couple of ways: scale out your clusters by adding nodes, or scale up existing nodes by adding capacity. Cluster Quickstart makes it easy to add compute and storage capacity to a vSAN cluster.
There are four vSAN deployment options: a jointly engineered turnkey system, Global Partner Appliances, vSAN ReadyNodes, and as a service with cloud providers. See vSAN deployment options for more information.
For detailed guidance on enabling vSAN, see vSAN documentation.
vSAN ReadyNodes are x86 servers that have been pre-configured, tested and certified for VMware HCI software. Each ReadyNode is optimally configured for vSAN with the required amount of CPU, memory, network, I/O controllers and storage. For more information, see vSAN ReadyNodes.
vSAN+ is the premier HCI offering, delivering the cloud connected services IT to centralize management and enhance efficiency. vSAN+ is offered as a subscription.
- Simplify vCenter updates with service lifecycle management support (vSphere+ required). Update/patch/upgrade all on-premises vCenter instances through a single control plane.
- Enhance IT productivity through single-console visibility of multiple vCenter servers (vSphere+ required).
- Build, run, manage and secure workloads with rapidly deployable cloud services, all connected to your on-premises infrastructure.
Yes, subject to standard market restrictions due to export controls and/or sanctions.
vSAN Express Storage Architecture is an optional next-generation architecture built into vSAN to deliver the highest levels of performance and efficiency from your NVMe storage devices.
- Optimized performance: Maximize performance on NVMe-based TLC devices, without compromising space efficiency.
- Supreme efficiency: Achieve higher data compression and space savings, lowering TCO.
- Heightened resilience: Boost availability and meet higher SLA requirements.