264,650 trees planted and counting… 1 million by 2030
VMware is committed to conserving, restoring and growing trees around the world. They help clean the air we breathe, filter the water we drink, and reforestation is one way to complement emissions reduction efforts to help reverse climate change. As an important component of our net zero strategy, we have set a commitment to conserve, restore, and plant 1 million trees by 2030 in support of the 1t.org mission, part of the World Economic Forum’s work to accelerate nature-based solutions in support of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
- See our mangrove restoration efforts in Mexico and Kenya as part of the Million Mangroves Project
Net Zero Commitments
Net zero means taking responsibility for our entire carbon footprint. We extend that responsibility from the suppliers we work with all the way to the products we build. We are committed to achieving absolute reductions and managing residual emissions with carbon avoidance and carbon removal projects to address our unmitigated emissions.
- Signatory to The Climate Pledge
- Emission reduction targets validated by the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi) in 2020
Our commitment to carbon neutrality is foundational to our path to net zero. We see this as a valuable complement to longer-term pledges to net zero because together they demonstrate sustained commitment to meaningful action now and in the future. We support low-carbon sustainable development projects that generate systemic impact by enabling efficient solutions and generating intersectional benefits for communities.
- Certified CarbonNeutral® Company since 2018
- Learn more about our Low-Carbon Sustainable Development projects
Reducing our demand for electricity is an essential part of our net zero strategy. We source 100 percent of electricity in our global facilities from renewable sources. To achieve this, we focused on prioritizing energy efficiency within our operations, followed by offsite and virtual power purchase agreements.
- 100% renewable energy for our operations since 2019
- VMware supports the Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance (REBA) through active board membership
- Signatory to RE100, a global collaborative representing businesses committed to using 100% renewable electricity in partnership with the Climate Group and CDP
VMware technology services and solutions help achieve a net zero future through decarbonization of our customers’ digital infrastructures and partnering with Zero Carbon Committed providers.
- Connect with VMware Zero Carbon Committed providers to help reach your sustainability goals
- VMware Home Office Emissions White Paper
- IDC White Paper on Carbon-Efficient Digital Transformations
Environmental, Social and Governance at VMware
VMware is committed to advancing Sustainability, Equity and Trust.