Cloud Provider Economics Through Policy-Driven Operations
- Server virtualization – vCloud Suite is built on vSphere, the world’s leading server virtualization platform that delivers proven CapEx and OpEx savings of 40 percent to 60 percent.
- Automated operations management – Dramatically increase utilization rates by proactively anticipating and responding to issues before they impact service quality—reducing capex up to 30 percent and boosting IT productivity by as much as 67 percent.
- Capacity planning and optimization – Maximize infrastructure utilization by identifying idle and over-provisioned virtual machines and improving virtual machine density for applications. Powerful capacity modeling lets you optimize infrastructure spend by balancing cost with performance and risk.
- vSphere ESXi – Deploy the industry’s most capable bare-metal hypervisor, with a small disk footprint for high security and low maintenance.
- DRS – Automatically balance loads across hosts to align resource allocation with business priorities.
- vMotion — Implement live virtual machine migration to eliminate application downtime from planned server maintenance.
- Storage DRS – Intelligently place and load-balance virtual machines based on I/O latency and storage capacity.
- Storage vMotion – Employ proactive, non-disruptive storage migration to eliminate virtual machine storage I/O bottlenecks and free up valuable storage capacity.
- VMFS – Simplify virtual machine provisioning and administrationwith a high-performance virtual machine-optimized cluster file system.
- Comprehensive visibility – Leverage a single unified console to manage thousands of virtual machines, physical servers and applications across multiple datacenters.
- Health and workload views – Benefit from visually intuitive real-time displays that reveal anomalies, faults and stressed workloads that can degrade infrastructure health and performance.
- Performance analytics – Apply self-learning analytics that discover your environment's behavior and adjust thresholds dynamically, freeing you from a flood of low-level metrics and alert storms.
- Smart alerts – Receive proactive alerts accompanied by detailed metrics and root cause analyses, providing the context and intelligence to resolve potential issues in advance.
- Advanced capacity management – Drill into detailed views and analytics that reveal under- and over-provisioned virtual machinesto guide you in reclaiming idle resources, increasing virtual machine densities and optimizing resource allocation.
- Capacity trending and analysis – Gain insight into current and future resource needs and usage with performance trending, forward-looking projections and extended forecasts.
- Heat map views – Quickly identify resource constraints and potential bottlenecks across the entire infrastructure through capacity-specific mapping.
- Application HA – Gain high availability that is tied to specific applications.
- Flash read cache – Accelerate performance for mission-critical applications by 5x to 10x with SSD virtualization combined with a host-based cache.
- Replication – Use virtual machine-level replication by the vSphere host for more granular and flexible recovery options.
- Data protection – Employ a back-up and recovery tool and appliance based on EMC Avamar.
- Big-data extensions – Virtualize and elastically run big-data workloads, including all major Hadoop distributions.
Applications in Minutes via Automated Provisioning
- Full abstraction of compute infrastructure – Abstraction, pooling and automation of the entire compute layer enables rapid application provisioning on any hardware stack and on vSphere-based private or public clouds.
- Automated, policy-driven resource allocation – The right levels of resources are automatically assigned to applications and services, for optimum IT alignment with business policies, objectives and continually changing demands.
- Self-service portal and catalog – An on-demand "IT storefront" allows designated managers to easily self-provision infrastructure, platform and desktop services, greatly reducing time-to-market for business initiatives and new products.
- Business-aware provisioning, governance and controls – Apply and manage compute resources to match the way you do business.
- Virtual data centers – Create elastic virtual constructs containing all the infrastructure services required to make workloads operation in minutes.
- Resource reservations – Allocate resources to a specific group and prevent their inadvertent use by others.
- Service levels – Define the amount and type of resources a given service can receive, either during initial provisioning or as part of a configuration change.
- Build specifications – Outline the automation policies for building or reconfiguring compute resources.
- Resource governor – Place physical, virtual and cloud-based machines on the appropriate service tiers and balance loads across available resources.
- Resource utilization – Drive higher utilization by monitoring and dynamically balancing available resources across groups.
- Resource reclamation – Identify and reclaim inactive and abandoned resources by automating the decommissioning and reuse of retired resources.
- Desktops as a Service (DaaS) – Deliver VMware® Horizon View™ virtual desktops for an enhanced end-user computing experience with higher security, easier management and lower cost.
- Workflow designer – Easily create and customize workflows, with automatic error-checking logic to verify the correct configuration of activity parameters.
- Activity library – Use a graphical user interface to easily add predefined tasks to an existing workflow.
- vApp catalog – Standardize and simplify operations with catalog-based deployment and consumption of multi-tier applications as pre-configured virtual appliances, at the click of a button.
- Application blueprints – Create application blueprints with a graphical drag-and-drop canvas that makes it easy to plan and deploy complex apps.
- Re-usable application architectures – Build best-practice application architectures that can be shared and re-used across teams, organizations and clouds.
- Support for all application stacks – Run any packaged application (including all Microsoft applications) and any custom apps developed with Java, .NET, Ruby and more.
- Extensibility – Integrate your VMware-based private cloud with existing infrastructures or workflows, customize any workflow and create any service (XaaS).
Optimum Control, Availability and Security for Every Application
- Application-aware availability – Advanced HA capabilities with automated fault tolerance deliver exceptional uptime and business continuity for critical applications.
- Virtualization-aware security and compliance – Protect every virtualized workload with tailored security and compliance policies that stay and adapt with it, as it moves around the data center.
- A common model across clouds – Unify vSphere-based private and public clouds under a single management, orchestration, security and compliance model for easy workload mobility and scaling.
- Proactive problem detection and analysis – Operational analytics provide rapid discovery and root-cause analysis of IT issues for substantial reductions in downtime, MTTI and MTTR.
- Integrated edge security – Deploy an efficient and cost-effective virtual appliance that combines a firewall with integrated gateway services such as NAT, load balancer, VPN and DHCP.
- Application-specific isolation – Maintain isolation and segmentation with vNIC-level firewalling as VMs migrate from host to host, creating logical and elastic trust zones protected from network-based threats.
- VXLAN logical networks – Shape highly efficient, scalable virtual networks that span virtual resource pools and physical boundaries, and segment them into logical networks attached to applications.
- Data security – Ensure compliance by scanning virtual workloads for sensitive data and reporting any violations of country- and industry-specific regulations.
- Centralized control – Leverage a central point of control for deploying, managing, reporting, logging and integrating third-party security and gateway services.
- Centralized recovery plans – Capture the complete recovery process in minutes instead of weeks, with a simple, automated centralized plan that covers multiple sites.
- Non-disruptive testing – Run frequent automated tests of your recovery plan without impacting production systems.
- Automated DR failover – Streamline and customize recovery plan execution with a host of user options such as shutdown of low-priority virtual machines at the failover site.
- Broad range of replication options – Utilize vSphere Replication for simple, cost-effective replication, and choose among third-party storage-based solutions for large business-critical environments.
- Automated failback – Automate failback of virtual machines to their initial production site for more efficient routine migrations.
- Planned migrations – Execute preventive failovers to avert imminent disasters, and planned migrations for global load balancing or to avoid downtime due to upcoming maintenance windows.
- Model and publish standardized applications – Create visual blueprints of application deployment topologies with an intuitive drag-and-drop canvas.
- Single dashboard – Monitor multiple services from a centralized display.