On the first day of VMworld® 2017 in Las Vegas, VMware and Amazon Web Services (AWS), announced the initial availability of VMware Cloud on AWS. based on the original alliance formed in October 2016, the partnership allows customers to run applications across operationally consistent VMware vSphere-based private, public, and hybrid cloud environments, with optimized access to AWS services. VMware Cloud on AWS is ideal for customers looking to migrate applications to the public cloud, develop entirely new applications, extend the capacity of their data centers for existing applications, or quickly provision development and test environments.
VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger said, “VMware and AWS are empowering enterprise IT and Operations teams to add value to their businesses through the combination of VMware enterprise capabilities and the breadth and depth of capabilities and scale of the AWS Cloud, providing them a foundation for any application.”
Highlights of VMware Cloud on AWS include:
- Enterprise capabilities of VMware SDDC with the agility, unmatched functionality, and operational expertise of AWS’s leading public cloud.
- Identical skills, tools, and processes for managing private and public cloud environments so customers have consistent operations, improved productivity, and reduced costs.
- Seamless, fast, and bi-directional workload portability between private and public clouds.
- Rapid time to value with the ability to scale host capacity up or down in a few minutes, and spin up an entire VMware SDDC in under a couple hours.
- Ability to run, manage, and secure applications in a hybrid IT environment without having to purchase custom hardware, rewrite applications, or modify operating models.
To learn more about the recent availability of VMware Cloud on AWS, read the full press release on the VMware newsroom: