VMware: A Force for Good
Through the collective impact of our employees, customers and partners, VMware strives to be a force for good in the world. Our shared mission is to leave ahead a better future by puttingt back more into the environment, society and global economy than we take. Although the term “sustainability” is often only associated with “green” pursuits, we think about sustainability in a much broader, systemic sense as resilience and the capacity to thrive as a company and community.
We made a public commitment to this shared purpose and vision in the inaugural VMware Global Impact Report. This report tells the story of VMware as a force for good and presents VMware 2020, our sustainability vision and roadmap. We constructed this VMware 2020 through the prism of products, planet and people:
- Transformative Products: Driving sustainable business practices and creating technology that contributes long-term net positive value to our customers and partner ecosystem.
- Thriving Planet: Doing more than our fair share toward environmental and social sustainability in our business practices and operations.
- Empowered People: Building an inclusive business environment that enriches people’s lives at work, at home and in the community, inspiring us to give more than we take.
VMware Global Impact Report: Annual Progress Update
VMware reports progress on the company's global impact goals.
We invite you to page through the VMware Global Impact Report highlights, including:
- Environmental Impact of Virtualization: As our CEO Pat Gelsinger shared at VMworld Europe, an independent study from IDC quantified the collective impact of VMware virtualization technology as avoiding 340 million metric tons of CO2e from entering the atmosphere. That’s equivalent to powering 43 percent of U.S. households for one year.*
- Impact Stories: VMware empowers customers to meet their own sustainability goals, including Medic Mobile and Chitale Dairy.
- Climate Change Commitments: We share our carbon footprint for 2015 with commitments to a science-based target for our global carbon emissions reduction and 100 percent renewable energy for our global operations by 2020.
- Diversity Data: As the first stage of our diversity data release, we share in the report that 22 percent of our global workforce is made up of women, and 42 percent are U.S. minorities. We can, and will, do better.
Together with our employees, customers and partners, VMware is an unstoppable force for good, and we’re just getting started. Below, share how VMware helped your company to be a force for good.
*Source: IDC Executive Brief, sponsored by VMware, Green IT: Virtualization Delivers Energy and Carbon Emissions Reductions, October 2016.