Increase Flexibility, Lower Costs with vSAN 8
Meet vSAN 8 with Express Storage Architecture
Enjoy a consistent, intuitive management experience across all vSAN deployments and architectures.
Get Your Hybrid Cloud Future-Ready
New Capabilities in vSAN 8
Optimize Performance and Efficiency of Next-Generation Devices with vSAN Express Storage Architecture
- Performance optimization for next-generation storage devices: vSAN Express Storage Architecture was designed with a new data path to efficiently leverage next-generation storage devices and deliver a wide range of price/performance targets. Updated erasure coding reduces performance overhead and enables you to achieve R5/6 at the performance of R1. Achieve up to 4x higher performance while maintaining the highest levels of data protection and space efficiency.
- Supreme resource and space efficiency: Optimized compression methods deliver up to 4x greater compression ratios, creating higher space savings, while a single-tier architecture enhances the overall efficiency of the storage, as all storage devices contribute to capacity.
- Enhanced availability and resiliency: vSAN Express Storage Architecture reduces failure domains and further improves availability with the introduction of storage pools.
- Native data protection: Snapshots are now natively integrated within vSAN Express Storage Architecture, enabling you to protect your data up to 100x faster snapshot operations. Connect vSAN Express Storage Architecture to third party backup solutions via API for simple, enhanced data protection and backup management experience.
Enhance HCI Management
- Increased management flexibility: Movement to per-VM policies increases flexibility of management, allowing you to set compression policies or customize data services on a per-VM basis.
- Consistent management experience: If you’re leveraging vSAN Express Storage Architecture in addition to the original storage architecture, you will enjoy a consistent experience across vSAN architectures using the same tools you’ve been familiar with. There is no need to deploy multiple management platforms or retrain architects and administrators.
- Proactive insights: vSAN 8 introduces proactive insights for vSAN clusters connected to VMware Analytics Cloud. This feature proactively identifies software/hardware compatibility or support gaps and alerts you before a potential issue arises. With Proactive Insights, vSAN also alerts you if the hardware you’re running will be incompatible with future software releases.
Maximize Capacity Utilization
- Increased write buffer: In vSAN 8 the write buffer maximum is increased from 600GB to 1.6TB, enabling you to fully utilize capacity in all-flash arrays.